Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bibbz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
If you are needing a 2nd charger, this thread isn't for you.

If you are buying it purely for the 6ft, this thread is for you.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/IPAD_USB_PWR_ADP?mco=MTc0MjU1ODY
This comes with the same 10watt power brick the iPad comes with, but adds a 6ft cord to reach your iPad. (the usb to 30pin cable is also included).

I Discovered this on accident when i noticed the seam on the power brick was a little loose. I yanked it off and realized it was removable. Presumably for foreign adapters to be shipped with international iPads. But i noticed when it was pulled apart, it had a fairly common power port on it. I stopped by my local RadioShack, where they sell them for $7.99. Once i got home to check it out, it works perfect! So if you are looking for a longer charger for your iPad for whatever reason, stop by your local RadioShack and grab one of these for 7.99.

Pics...

In your local store, they should be in a section somewhat similar to this.
iPadCharger001.jpg

This is the one you need. Note the catalog number, 61.210, or bring your brick with you to the store.
iPadCharger003-1.jpg

iPadCharger004-1.jpg

This is the brick pulled apart.
iPadCharger006.jpg

iPadCharger005.jpg

Thsi is the power cord you will purchase
iPadCharger007.jpg

iPadCharger009.jpg

Thsi is what it looks like plugged in
iPadCharger010.jpg

iPadCharger011.jpg

In use
iPadCharger013.jpg

And as you can barely see(yay crappy iPhone 3G camera) it is charging.
iPadCharger012.jpg

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Cool, well done!

1 thing: is it easily removable/swappable for those of us who would like to swap it with the normal port frequently?

bibbz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Cool, well done!

1 thing: is it easily removable/swappable for those of us who would like to swap it with the normal port frequently?

Absolutely, the normal port just plugs back in like this one does. :)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My understanding is that if you already have a MacBook/MacBook Pro which also has a similar power supply but larger brick, you can use the extension cord from that that comes in the Apple Kit to extend your iPad usb brick, but it does the nice little slide on thingy deal.

bibbz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
My understanding is that if you already have a MacBook/MacBook Pro which also has a similar power supply but larger brick, you can use the extension cord from that that comes in the Apple Kit to extend your iPad usb brick, but it does the nice little slide on thingy deal.

Cool, that would work too then. I dont have a MacBook or i would try it. I'm a noobie to Apple computers, except iPhone.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Alternatively, extend the USB cable - I've got two plugged together for my iPhone giving me around 8 feet of extension. Obviously, you need a USB cable with male at one end and female at the other.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Lol awesome... Apple is good at overcharging. I hope some people save money by doing this.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Lol awesome... Apple is good at overcharging. I hope some people save money by doing this.

Apple does give you an extra power brick, extension cord, and usb to iPad sync/charge cable in their package, not just the $6 extension cord. The power brick is the most expensive part of the package. As has been said if you already have one of those Apple extension cords from their laptops you can use that instead of buying anything, but by buying the Apple one you get a whole extra power brick.

People are starting to put USB outlets into their homes along with other outlets.

http://www.slashgear.com/truepower-outlet-packs-usb-ports-and-ac-for-just-9-95-0465164/

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere

I did that for my AirPort Express as well.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Alternatively, extend the USB cable - I've got two plugged together for my iPhone giving me around 8 feet of extension. Obviously, you need a USB cable with male at one end and female at the other.

yep

from here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/901421/

I have one.

Just strung a long USB extension to the iPhone cord :D

here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=usb_extension_cable-_-12-816-055-_-Product

an actual 6ft charge/sync cord

Richard A

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Really haven't looked into it yet and those are currently getting UL approval so I'm not sure you can get them till this summer.

Saw this as well as a Staples one. http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=400738

But I think they are 5V as well.

There was a company selling them at MacWorld in Feb this year. I asked questions about it since I am using Insteon controllers for my lights and I didn't want to have interference on my electrical lines. The guy selling the USB/Outlets couldn't tell me much about them other than he claimed they had UL approval (didn't see a UL sticker on it). But he was selling them.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Was looking at those earlier, but they are only 5v and the iPad I thought needed 10 volts. Have you found any with 10 volts?

It should be 10 watts, 5.1 volts.

BTW, I just purchased a 4-port USB car charger designed for iPhones, etc.

It has a notice that other devices may not charge if the iPad will be connected. I guess we'll see this weekend. :D

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
I'm not sure why this is better than plugging the entire brick into a regular extension cord, but nice find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.