Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Salmar
macrumors regular

2-3g iPads with 1 ATT subscription?

If I bought two 3g iPads and and got the unlimited data plan from ATT, would I have to pay two monthly charges if they are being used in one household with one ATT account? I don't have WiFi at home. Believe it or not I called Apple and they didn't know the answer either and said to ask ATT about it which I haven't done yet, but I thought I would ask here first.
Thanks for a reply
Salmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:20 PM   #2
skubish
macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Of course you would have to pay $30/month each unless you want to swap microSIM cards.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:21 PM   #3
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmar View Post
If I bought two 3g iPads and and got the unlimited data plan from ATT, would I have to pay two monthly charges if they are being used in one household with one ATT account? I don't have WiFi at home. Believe it or not I called Apple and they didn't know the answer either and said to ask ATT about it which I haven't done yet, but I thought I would ask here first.
Thanks for a reply
Each iPad would require it's own data plan since the sim cards would have different phone/account numbers associated with it. It would be the same as if you had the iPhone and iPad, each has it's own data plan.

You might want to consider geting a MiFi card from Verizon or the Overdrive from Sprint and then getting 2 WiFi iPads. Although the data plans on the Overdrive and MiFi would be the same as if you had two data plans on the 2 3G iPads, but with the MiFi and Overdrive cards you could connect up to 5 devices.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:23 PM   #4
leesweet
macrumors Demi-God

Um, they should know. It's been posted on their site, I could have sworn. It's not like the iPhone where you have a real account with AT&T. You put your payment info into EACH iPad as you want to use bandwidth so, therefore, there is no way to 'share' an account.

Well, there is. Buy two WiFi ones, and use a 3G-WiFi phone as the access point. But, from the 3G iPad(s) themselves? Nope.

Unless someone has changed the whole payment paradigm in the last few weeks...
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:23 PM   #5
eawmp1
macrumors 601

1) As the 3G isn't yet released...AT&T hasn't said
2) iPad question = Apple...data service plan = At&T
3) As you can't share data plans on iPhone, I'll wager EACH device must have its own data plan.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:26 PM   #6
slpdLoad
macrumors 6502a

Yes, you pay $30 per iPad.

It's the same as for iPhones. Each physical phone requires its own $30 data plan, regardless of whether it is in a family plan, who bought it, etc.
slpdLoad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:33 PM   #7
stisdal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Yes, you pay $30 per iPad.

It's the same as for iPhones. Each physical phone requires its own $30 data plan, regardless of whether it is in a family plan, who bought it, etc.
Ditto on above. I have 3 iPhones on a family plan. I bought them all, and they are all on my account. That's $90. a month in data......
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:39 PM   #8
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

I think the question is more like WOULD one microSIM swapped between the 2 iPads work or would AT&T disable this somehow. I sense that they won't be that smart to disable this.

If this works, that means, of course, that a new iPhone 4 microSIM could potentially work in the iPad as well.

I am not that concerned, actually, since I am running my iPad on 3G for over 3 weeks. (Thanks to the app MyWi and my jailbroken iPhone!)
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Coukos34
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zub3qin View Post
I think the question is more like WOULD one microSIM swapped between the 2 iPads work or would AT&T disable this somehow. I sense that they won't be that smart to disable this.

If this works, that means, of course, that a new iPhone 4 microSIM could potentially work in the iPad as well.

I am not that concerned, actually, since I am running my iPad on 3G for over 3 weeks. (Thanks to the app MyWi and my jailbroken iPhone!)
This is the real question I'm wondering about. I'd tend to think they would discourage this because they wouldn't want you opening and closing the sim door a million times and then complaining to apple that its worn out, or complaining to AT&T that you've lost your sim or that it's broken.....

I have a feeling that this won't be possible as someone has obviously thought about this and had such discussions. I would love to be able to do this though. We'll see soon I guess...
Coukos34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Salmar
macrumors regular

Well thanks for all the replies. I just thought I would ask and was hoping for different results. I wonder if they would have a family plan for two iPads without charging 30 bucks for each one. Will just have to wait and see then.
Salmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:48 AM   #11
noah82
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to noah82 Send a message via Skype™ to noah82
There will not be an iPad family plan, so don't bother waiting for one.
noah82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:28 PM   #12
nj-mac-user
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmar View Post
Well thanks for all the replies. I just thought I would ask and was hoping for different results.
Guess we will know the answer for sure in a few days. I would think that if you can swap sims between two at&t go phones that it would also work with two ipads. I've never tried with go phones so I have no idea if that's even possible.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 03:11 PM   #13
GraphicsGeek
macrumors 6502a

The data plans with the 3G iPad are prepaid. You can not combine or add data plans to your existing prepaid AT&T account. There is no family plan. You either pay $14.99 or $30 a month for data per iPad. iPads have nothing to do with your existing att account.
GraphicsGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:40 PM   #14
enek
macrumors newbie

Anyone have an answer to the original question

I work at a Canadian office and we frequently travel to the states. The company purchased one AT&T SIM for an iPad. We are wondering if when other users travel to the US can we just transfer the SIM to the other iPad so that they can use it while travelling?
enek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #15
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by enek View Post
I work at a Canadian office and we frequently travel to the states. The company purchased one AT&T SIM for an iPad. We are wondering if when other users travel to the US can we just transfer the SIM to the other iPad so that they can use it while travelling?
I believe you can do that. I haven't done it with AT&T SIMs, but when I was traveling in Norway, I handed my local SIM off to a relative who used it in her iPad after I left the country. I don't think the SIM gets tied to the iPad device ID.
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:27 PM   #16
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Why didn't you go to Verizon and get two WiFi iPads and a $130 MyFi device? I'm assuming you weren't planning on using 3G on both at once, which is what that would be perfect for.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad