Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duncanreally

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Does anyone know what the weight difference is, for the 15" model? I expect the glossy one is heavier because of the glass. I suppose there might be a small difference between the low-res and high-res screens, too.

Duncan

Duncanreally

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
no one knows?

is no-one interested in this? I imagine the glass on the glossy screen adds quite a bit of weight.

Duncanreally

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Thanks! I did search but didn't find that thread. The answer is that the glossy screen is "about 0.5lbs" heavier. That's a lot, although the "about" is rather vague. I may try to bring a balance into an Apple store and weigh them...

Duncan

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Thanks! I did search but didn't find that thread. The answer is that the glossy screen is "about 0.5lbs" heavier. That's a lot, although the "about" is rather vague. I may try to bring a balance into an Apple store and weigh them...

Duncan

In a slightly more serious thread someone else measured the 2009 version to be 0.5lb lighter. It would be great if someone with an accurate (metric) scale could measure it - there's a lot of threads with 2010 AG owners, so someone should be able to measure it.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
In a slightly more serious thread someone else measured the 2009 version to be 0.5lb lighter. It would be great if someone with an accurate (metric) scale could measure it - there's a lot of threads with 2010 AG owners, so someone should be able to measure it.
2.43 kg for a 15" high-res anti-glare. Note: the internal hard drive has been replaced with a 160gb Intel SSD which may have reduced the weight slightly.

So if Apple's specifications are correct, it's a saving of 110g, or 0.25lbs.

Duncanreally

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
My own March 2007 15" MBP (pre unibody) with a non-standard hard drive weighs 2996.62g. It has a glossy (but pre-glass) screen. So not very useful data for the current models, but it maybe interesting to some.

If we collect enough data points we should get to the bottom of this issue. Please indicate if your balance only goes to 10g resolution (i.e. it is rounded to the nearest whole 10g). Please don't post if you have lower precision than this - 100g resolution isn't much use!

thanks,
Duncan

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
If we collect enough data points we should get to the bottom of this issue. Please indicate if your balance only goes to 10g resolution (i.e. it is rounded to the nearest whole 10g). Please don't post if you have lower precision than this - 100g resolution isn't much use!
1g resolution on the scales I used—it was 2430g. (2436g before I remembered to take off the keyboard cover)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.