Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitzteacher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
Hi,

I'm not able to reduce the file size of my organizations monthly newsletter. I found a good suggestion but I cannot find Color Sync Filter. Anyway, here's the instructions:
1. From within Pages or any other application you're creating a PDF from, click on "Print" in the File pull-down menu.
2. In the Print dialog box, click on the third pull-down menu box ("Copies and Pages"). Select "ColorSync" from the pull-down menu.
3. Click on the "Quartz Filter" button and select "Reduce File Size."
4. Click "Save as PDF."

I cannot find "Copies and Pages" I do have a choice to change which standard ColorSync but nowhere can I find "Quartz Filter". I'm using Pages 09 and have a brand new iMac - one month old.

Can anyone help me?

MarketingGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsborough, NJ
I'm not exactly certain how to do this without having the full version of Adobe Acrobat. You might want to try reducing the image sizes by selecting "Reduce File Size" under the File menu of Pages. Then try making the PDF.

seitzteacher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I already did this - but thanks! I have a feeling you might be right about getting the professional edition of Adobe.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
Print to PDF first, then open the PDF in Preview. Select "Save-As" and you'll see the Quartz filter under which there is an option to reduce file size.

seitzteacher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
Thanks! My file went from 3 mg to 1 mg BUT on my gifs (photos and images of text) they were very blurred. Should I save photos and copied image text a different way because the rest of the text came out just as clear?

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
You'll have to experiment to get it to your satisfaction -- and this method does not provide fine grained control.

[You can use preview a second time (etc.) and reduce file size again - it does appear to hit a limit though, but pictures will be blurrier.]

C3magazine

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Here's How You Reduce The Size Of A Pdf

If you want to reduce the size of your PDF without losing the quality (such as what often happens when you use the Quartz Filter), try this.
1. Go to your Finder
2. Click on Applications
3. Click on your Utilities Folder
4. Click on ColorSync Utility.app
5. Once its open, switch to the "Filters" panel (which will list all of the filters you currently have available)
6. In the lower left, click on the “+” button which will create a new filter
7. Name the filter whatever you want and press return.
8. To the right of the filter’s name, choose the down arrow and a menu will pop up.
9. From that pop-up menu, choose “Add Image Effects Component”, and from that menu choose “Image Compression”.
10. Adjust the image compression Mode to JPEG.
11. Adjust the image compression quality however you'd prefer.

The next time you use Preview to “Save As...”, you'll have a new option under Quartz filters. GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: EstherY

ascafrica

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
south Africa
Reduced PDF size without losing quality

I would just like to say that this method worked wanders for me!!! Thanks so much for the tip (included below). I reduced my scanned images that were already into one pdf from 42MB to 8MB!!! This is amazing! I am a new user to the whole Apple system and your instructions were so easy to follow and EVEN I did it!! THANKYOU!!! You have just saved me a huge amount of money, carbon footprint and trees (for the paper) if I were going to have to post this to 13 different countries...resulting in days of delay!
Thanks!!!

If you want to reduce the size of your PDF without losing the quality (such as what often happens when you use the Quartz Filter), try this.
1. Go to your Finder
2. Click on Applications
5. Once its open, switch to the "Filters" panel (which will list all of the filters you currently have available)
8. To the right of the filter’s name, choose the down arrow and a menu will pop up.
9. From that pop-up menu, choose “Add Image Effects Component”, and from that menu choose “Image Compression”.

The next time you use Preview to “Save As...”, you'll have a new option under Quartz filters. GOOD LUCK!

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
1. Go to your Finder
2. Click on Applications

thank you, just learned a lot :D

Smooj

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
1. Go to your Finder
2. Click on Applications

i'm trying this...all goes to plan when adding the new option but then when i export and hit the quartz drop down the new option isn't there for some reason? i'm also noticing when i create it it isn't letting me title it it keeps defaulting to untitled? what am i doing wrong please? osx 10.9 btw

nickh

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
1. Go to your Finder
2. Click on Applications

This did not work for me! pdf reduced from 7mb to 433kb but images looked terrible.

fleyne

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
France
nickh, I was around on the forum and saw your post. I have an app on the store compressing pdf (ExSqueeze it). It is basically under the hood using the quartz filter action (yes I know). Interface is simple, you have 4 types of qualities. and can check the result before saving.

If your images in your PDF are already highly degraded, to compress it will may be not reduce the file size as you expect.

Here are promo codes for it (get it for free).

NY4MPHPHMLJ3
H6RP4XJLN96K
PAYYW49H6XYH
AT3KANXFAAE9
LMPJHFYAE4WW
AM7YW3HTPWLA
Y4EAK7PN377N
79M7MY4K49M4
9TYXMX4KJEM4
ERW3HLYKWJLE

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I know this is an older thread. But one of the quickest ways if you do not have Acrobat Pro.

Open PDF in Preview>File>Export>Format:pDF>Quartz Filter:Reduce File Size>Save

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.