Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cred0021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
This has worked well for me for the past couple of weeks. It's kind of a hassle to carry around the Verizon Mifi around in my pocket. I found this out quickly the first day I went to lunch with my iPad. I had to run back to my office to retrieve the forgotten Mifi so that I could actually use the iPad at lunch to read the USA Today.

Anyway, some industrial strength velcro and a $15 plastic case from the online Verizon store - my Mifi is now attached to my iPad everywhere I go.:)

Attachments

• ipadmifi1.jpg
    ipadmifi1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 232
  • ipadmifi2.jpg
    ipadmifi2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 157

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Does it add any noticeable weight?

What's the monthly cost / bandwidth allowed?

Does it get your current location right when you use the map?

KyPosey

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Louisville, Ky
$59.99 a month you can go M2M, 1 year, or 2 year contracts...the price of the mifi will depend on what type of contract you get.

Also VZW will give you a 5GB cap.

cred0021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Does it add any noticeable weight?

What's the monthly cost / bandwidth allowed?

Does it get your current location right when you use the map?

No noticeable weight increase.

The Mifi is $60/mth, 5GB cap - the only reason to use a Mifi with an iPad is if you're already subscribing to it for use with a laptop or other devices (which is why I have it). Otherwise, just get the 3G iPad.

The Mifi adds no GPS capability to the iPad (that I know of). In fact, I'm not sure you can even get your location when using a Mifi, unlike using a regular wifi connection. Maybe someone else can explain that.

akal575

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
You're right, if you don't already own a MiFi there is no good reason to get it in place of just and iPad 3G.

I disagree, I purposely went with the MiFi because where I am I dont even have 3G reception on my iphone 3GS, however Verizon's got great coverage where I am at.

For me the MiFi was a good fit, however if where you are you have 3G reception from ATT and it is good, then I would say you would be stupid to get the MiFi. IMO it's all circumstantial.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
I went with a MiFi as well. AT&T's 3G reception is horrible where I live (Cincinnati, OH). Verizon is so much better. I camp in Indiana and I got full strength 3G with my Verizon phone and MiFi where I would get like 1 bar no 3G with AT&T. I am loving the MiFi. I haven't had it for a month yet so I am nervous about the 5GB cap but we'll see at the end of the month how much I use. I just use it to check on Facebook, ESPN, IGN, and some other sites, nothing crazy so I hope I don't go near the limit.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can buy that plastic case for the MiFi from any of the Verizon stores rather than ordering it online? Thanks.

Lenow

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Clever, but I still have hope

Very clever solution. I can't believe no one has yet come out with a folio case that has a slot for the MiFi. I have searched everywhere. The closest I have come is M-Edge, either the Leisure Jacket or the Latitude Jacket. Haven't gotten either yet. I have asked a bunch of companies (Vaja, Sena, Casemate, Simplism and others) but none seem willing to explore it. Sprint's sleeve is one solution, but still not a folio type case. How hard can it be to add an outside pocket for a little MiFi card?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The MiFi will work for location mapping. Unfortunately it will usually report the location of the originating service bureau, which is worthless unless you are standing there at the time. I'm in Wash DC this AM and my MiFi still thinks my location is Chicago.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
No noticeable weight increase.

The Mifi is $60/mth, 5GB cap - the only reason to use a Mifi with an iPad is if you're already subscribing to it for use with a laptop or other devices (which is why I have it). Otherwise, just get the 3G iPad.

The Mifi adds no GPS capability to the iPad (that I know of). In fact, I'm not sure you can even get your location when using a Mifi, unlike using a regular wifi connection. Maybe someone else can explain that.

You're right, if you don't already own a MiFi there is no good reason to get it in place of just and iPad 3G.

About getting the 3G iPad over a Mifi if you don't already own one...

That's just stupid. Why would you buy a device that locks your data to only it when you can get a Mifi, use it with multiple devices as well as the iPad, and have data that can be used with nearly everything?

This is why I'll be getting a Mifi this week.

This has already been done and discussed...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/908972/

And that thread is dead.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
Try tethering your phone(if possible) that you keep with you all of the time anyways (I do). If you are already paying for a data plan on your cell why incur any additional expenses?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Try tethering your phone(if possible) that you keep with you all of the time anyways (I do). If you are already paying for a data plan on your cell why incur any additional expenses?

Some people don't want to sacrifice their iPhone's battery for the ability to tether their iPad. And only select phones allow tethering over wifi at this time.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
Some people don't want to sacrifice their iPhone's battery for the ability to tether their iPad. And only select phones allow tethering over wifi at this time.

I guess it depends on your financial situation. If you can get away with using your phone then why spend another $360.00 to $720.00 a year on an iPad 3G contract or a MiFi unit?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL

OP is using Verizon and they offer the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi that serve as mobile hotspots at no additional charge. Buy their $30 data plan and share that with up to 5 devices. I always carry my phone with me and I assume most of us do, so it adds no additional devices to carry, no additional cost, and has the same flexibility that the MiFi does.

Right now, the Pre is free to existing Verzion customers.

It seems like a win all around.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Everybody's situation is different and it's great that the market gives us a variety of options. The reasons I prefer the 3g ipad:

- battery life is huge to me. The 3g iPad gets ~9 hours while using 3g service. I doubt very much that a phone used as a hotspot would last more than three hours. If you figure you don't have a 100% charge most of the time you happen to want to use a device, the phone battery may actually limit you to an hour or two, while the iPad even at 50% charge will last 4.5 hours. This makes the difference between relaxed, comfortable use, and sitting there watching the clock.

- I don't have any other devices I want to use mobile wifi on, really. I have a MacBook that I'll probably sell due to the iPad taking many of its functions. I have a Nexus One that has its own 3g service. So the multi-device advantage of mifi is moot in my case. This means it's a straight-up choice of $30/month, no device to buy, no contract to sign, vs. $60/month, device, contract.

I also don't know what the battery life of a mifi is, I could research it, but haven't since it's moot in my case anyway. If battery life is less than, say, five hours during substantial use, that would also be a barrier for me and IMO for a lot of people.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I guess it depends on your financial situation. If you can get away with using your phone then why spend another $360.00 to $720.00 a year on an iPad 3G contract or a MiFi unit?

I would still take stability over tethering. If your financial situation can't account for 3G connectivity then you shouldn't be buying an iPad.

OP is using Verizon and they offer the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi that serve as mobile hotspots at no additional charge. Buy their $30 data plan and share that with up to 5 devices. I always carry my phone with me and I assume most of us do, so it adds no additional devices to carry, no additional cost, and has the same flexibility that the MiFi does.

Right now, the Pre is free to existing Verzion customers.

It seems like a win all around.

Free to all existing Verzion customers but likely requires a new contract. On top of that, if you're looking just for tethering or wifi share, the voice plan on top of it is extra. And let's face it, the Pre is a piece of ****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.