Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
My AT&T Laptop Connect Card contract is expiring soon and I am thinking of the Verizon MyFi or Sprint Overdrive to replace it. This way I can use my WiFi iPad and the wifi on my laptop instead of 3G.

Which works better?

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I use the Verizon mifi and love it. I believe the overdrive has the 4g but you have to pay extra for it and it isn't everywhere. I used my mifi for consulting and even I left consulting I still use it.

Check the coverage maps that best fits your location and possible travel opportunities for family and vacations.

jaeguyoon

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I pay 59.99 a month and I get unlimited 4g and 5gb 3G, I love the overdrive cos I'm in Baltimore half the week and I get blazing fast connection. The only issue I have is overdrive and iPad keep disconnecting and reconnecting, I hope either there is a update for the overdrive or the iPad that fixes this soon...

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Thats right, the 4G is unlimited with Sprint. I always get that confused, the 4G and 3G.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
If your in a 4G area get the Overdrive. If you travel a lot and or your not in a 4G area get the Verizon MIfi. Both are gonna run your $60 a month. The advantage of the overdrive is the 4G unlimited usage. But if no 4g coverage I would go with Verizon. This all may change in a year or two with all the networks being revamped for LTE and or 4G. Once real high speed is availabjle wirelessly the mobile hotspot would be the way to go.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I was leaning more with the Verizon card since we don't have 4G in the Orlando area yet. From what I understand it won't be here until mid 2011 or so. Also debating if I should wait a little longer and see if AT&T will have something to compete with Verizon and Sprint. Since I am already a customer I wouldn't have to deal with starting with a new carrier with credit checks and deposits and all that.

I don't want to walk into a store and get the device and then have them say, I need to have $500 deposit or something outrageous like that.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Thanx for the responses everyone. In between this board and a few other iPad boards and the reviews that I have read, I went with the Verizon card. Got a pretty good deal on it ($49.99) after rebate and they waived any deposits plus I get a 17% discount on the service through the company I work for.

Set up was a breeze and I am typing this message on my iPad connected with the MiFi. :)

markw10

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Verizon MiFi vs. Sprint's Overdrive

Both me and my fiancee are planning on purchasing an iPad. We hope to be able to go with the standard WiFi iPad instead of the 3G version because of the extra $130 and also the extra cost for the data plan.
Currently I pay $59.95/month for an AT&T Data Plan with a Data Connect card but that card only will work with our laptops on the go. I was at Best Buy tonight looking at the iPad and came across two options, Verizon's MiFI service and Sprint's Overdrive service. It seems Sprint offers two devices.
I have always heard that Verizon is much better than AT&T but also that Sprint was inferior to AT&T or Verizon.
After talking to the salesperson, she said Sprint is the best service out there, better than Verizon or AT&T. I told her I had heard that Sprint isn't that good and does not have the best coverage. She said that's true for voice but not for data and for data Sprint has the best coverage and also Sprint is now switching to 4G in many cities which is of course faster and that where we live in Denver it should be done by the end of the year.
From the information she gave me it appears both Verizon and Sprint charge $59.99 a month for their services for 5GB, the same I pay for AT&T. According to her Verizon is moving to 4G but likely early next year in this area and Sprint is currently upgrading but according to her once Sprint changes to 4G the service will drop to $49.95 a month and also the data plan will change from a 5GB limit to unlimited data.
Has anyone heard anything about this price change or unlimited data?
I have several questions below:

-How does the speed of these compare to a USB dongle. I know it's the same network but being it's over wi-fi and not a connect direct, is the speed any slower?
-What kind of range does the wi-fi network have, especially for a good connection and speed?
-Is Sprint's coverange, network, and speed really that good?
-Between Sprint and Verizon, does one stand above the other?
-As stated above, is the information about 4G (release dates for Verizon and Sprint) and the change to unlimited data or a decrease in cost true?
-Does either of the units offer the ability to block certain websites? For example if her son uses his ipod touch on it could we block sites like http://www.facebook.com, http://www.myspace.com, etc. so he can't access them. I know it would block us also but that is fine.

Thank you for your help with the above questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.