Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey
Is it possible to use an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot (say Starbucks) with my iPhone, then use that connection in conjunction with the jailbreak app MyWi in order to have Wi-Fi onto the iPad?

I guess my question boils down to: can MyWi "recycle" a Wi-Fi connection? Currently at work with no Wi-Fi to test of any sort.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Is it possible to use an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot (say Starbucks) with my iPhone, then use that connection in conjunction with the jailbreak app MyWi in order to have Wi-Fi onto the iPad?

I guess my question boils down to: can MyWi "recycle" a Wi-Fi connection? Currently at work with no Wi-Fi to test of any sort.

Nope.

oren1

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I hope i understood your question correctly.
You can create a wifi hotspot with mywi and tether your iPad with your iPhone. That's why we jailbreak our phones... No need for iPad 3g model ;)

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
You can create a wifi hotspot with mywi and tether your iPad with your iPhone. That's why we jailbreak our phones... No need for iPad 3g model ;)

He wants to Connect to the At&t Wifi with the iPhone and share that to the iPad Wifi.

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey

I know we can use our iPhone's 3G connection as a means for transmitting Wi-Fi. My question was whether we can use a Wi-Fi connection and re-transmit using MyWi for use with the iPad.

I'm only asking because if I were to walk into a Barnes & Noble, yes I can receive Wi-Fi because I have a 3G plan on my iPhone. But can I harness that Wi-Fi using MyWi so that my iPad can get Wi-Fi? Obviously, if I attempted to connect to B&N's Wi-Fi straight up, I wouldn't be able to because I don't have a 3G plan on it.

It's a little hard to word this question -- I'm brain farting over here :p

Edit: ViViDboarder beat me to it, and he only used one sentence! lol

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I know we can use our iPhone's 3G connection as a means for transmitting Wi-Fi. My question was whether we can use a Wi-Fi connection and re-transmit using MyWi for use with the iPad.

I'm only asking because if I were to walk into a Barnes & Noble, yes I can receive Wi-Fi because I have a 3G plan on my iPhone. But can I harness that Wi-Fi using MyWi so that my iPad can get Wi-Fi? Obviously, if I attempted to connect to B&N's Wi-Fi straight up, I wouldn't be able to because I don't have a 3G plan on it.

It's a little hard to word this question -- I'm brain farting over here :p

Edit: ViViDboarder beat me to it, and he only used one sentence! lol

No because miwi is using the wifi antennna to broadcast so it can't receive. However, this thing flies using the 3G connection.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah MyWi only connects to the 3G on the Iphone and then broadcasts wifi to whatever you want to connect to it....So its 3G to Wifi...not wifi to wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.