Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:19 PM   #1
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
iTunes 9.1.1 and Apple TV dilemma..

So I just updated iTunes to 9.1.1 and now I'm getting this crazy message..

Everything has been working fine up until I updated to 9.1.1

Just to make sure I checked out System Pref > Security and I don't even have the firewall turned on so does anyone know what's going on???

The Apple Tv shows up in iTunes, but if I go to the Apple Tv and try to play a movie it says it can't locate the library...

My movies are all stored on an external HD and have been for quite sometime..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	224152  
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:11 PM   #2
cubbie5150
macrumors 6502a

Huh, <knocks on wood> everything is working peachy for me now after almost a solid year of issues, so I will be avoiding this iTunes update. Not gonna risk it... Sorry, totally unresponsive to your question..
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:39 PM   #3
rshillshooter81
macrumors member

I have updated to itunes 9.1.1 on my imac, my library is on a 8TB NAS and i have had zero problems, i run 5 apple tv's off of it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the update.

If you drop your apple tv's shared connection to your itunes, then readd it back to itunes (using the code) does it find itunes okay?
rshillshooter81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:52 PM   #4
sonictonic
macrumors 6502a

That message pops up for me occasionally too, and well before this update. Usually the fix is to restart iTunes, or in the prefs of iTunes to uncheck "look for Apple TV's", let it disappear form the sources, then go in and re-check it.

I don't know why it happens sometimes but that works for me.
sonictonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:13 AM   #5
fpnc
macrumors 68000

Just restart iTunes, or restart the Mac/PC, or restart the Apple TV (try in that order but don't leave iTunes running/linked when you restart the Apple TV). This message will nearly always appear if you restart the Apple TV while it is still connected to iTunes (i.e. having iTunes running while you restart the Apple TV).
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:17 AM   #6
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

Possibly related: I had issues with my AppleTV not playing content, etc. What I found out was that either the ethernet jack or the cable might be a little out of spec and the cable wasn't making a solid connection. So far, any time that it hiccups, I do the usual troubleshooting stuff, and then I check the connection. It fixes it every time, so far...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:14 PM   #7
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
Thanks everyone I just got it working today, oddly enough I had to move 1 of the movies stored on the external into the iTunes music > movies folder of computer HD, then performed a sync and that seemed to fix it. So I deleted the movie from the comp HD and did a test sync with the apple tv and it went without a hitch..

Very strange..

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater