Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
acrafton
macrumors regular

Multi-Mac house. . .need the same home directory

I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.

We now have 3 Mac's in the house and I want to use one as the primary file storage/home directory server for my wife and kids. So, on the kitchen IMac I want to have all their files, etc. When they login from the gameroom I want the home directory structure to be linked to the Imac so all files are avail, etc. . .Otherwise they will have multiple files store everywhere, etc. ..

So, how do I set up users on a variety of Macs but have them all link back (home directory structure) to the one mac?

Thanks
Adam
acrafton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Labaguette
macrumors regular

Try this!
Note: only try this with the same operating system

regards

Last edited by Labaguette; Apr 29, 2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Link.
Labaguette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:41 AM   #3
myjay610
macrumors regular

That might work for having your home folder on an external HDD or something but I don't know if that will work for a network stored home folder...

What you want to do is usually done by storing user accounts in a directory such as OpenLDAP (Open Directory on OS X) and then binding any computer you want to that directory so when users log on they are authentication against that database and also mounting their home folder at the location specified by the directory...unfortunately what you want is not a built-in feature of OS X (or any other OS really) without some kind of basic server/domain setup.
myjay610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Scrib
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjay610 View Post
That might work for having your home folder on an external HDD or something but I don't know if that will work for a network stored home folder...

What you want to do is usually done by storing user accounts in a directory such as OpenLDAP (Open Directory on OS X) and then binding any computer you want to that directory so when users log on they are authentication against that database and also mounting their home folder at the location specified by the directory...unfortunately what you want is not a built-in feature of OS X (or any other OS really) without some kind of basic server/domain setup.
But this can be done in OS X Server, correct?
Scrib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5
myjay610
macrumors regular

Yeah, it can be done with OS X server.
myjay610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
giannisk
macrumors newbie

Is this possible with normal Snow Leopard ?
Can you share how?
Thanks
giannisk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking