Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.

We now have 3 Mac's in the house and I want to use one as the primary file storage/home directory server for my wife and kids. So, on the kitchen IMac I want to have all their files, etc. When they login from the gameroom I want the home directory structure to be linked to the Imac so all files are avail, etc. . .Otherwise they will have multiple files store everywhere, etc. ..

So, how do I set up users on a variety of Macs but have them all link back (home directory structure) to the one mac?

Thanks
Adam

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
That might work for having your home folder on an external HDD or something but I don't know if that will work for a network stored home folder...

What you want to do is usually done by storing user accounts in a directory such as OpenLDAP (Open Directory on OS X) and then binding any computer you want to that directory so when users log on they are authentication against that database and also mounting their home folder at the location specified by the directory...unfortunately what you want is not a built-in feature of OS X (or any other OS really) without some kind of basic server/domain setup.

Scrib

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
That might work for having your home folder on an external HDD or something but I don't know if that will work for a network stored home folder...

What you want to do is usually done by storing user accounts in a directory such as OpenLDAP (Open Directory on OS X) and then binding any computer you want to that directory so when users log on they are authentication against that database and also mounting their home folder at the location specified by the directory...unfortunately what you want is not a built-in feature of OS X (or any other OS really) without some kind of basic server/domain setup.

But this can be done in OS X Server, correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.