Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:14 AM   #1
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Have you guys tried Atomic Browser?

I ran across this while doing a search for Opera (hoping they had also released an iPad version) and thought it's leaps and bounds above Safari.

It has a bunch of features but the main highlights I found are the tabs, which work the same way as on a desktop computer and switch VERY fast (unlike the Safari method), it doesn't appear to reload pages when you switch tabs, it has a "Find in page" search which highlights all found words and also has a full screen mode which places all the buttons at the bottom which to me makes a lot more sense then at the top of the iPad. Full screen even hides the iPad clock/wifi status bar.

A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google and for some reason the URL address bar some times takes a couple taps to bring up the onscreen keyboard.
HXGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:37 AM   #2
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXGuy View Post
I ran across this while doing a search for Opera (hoping they had also released an iPad version) and thought it's leaps and bounds above Safari.

It has a bunch of features but the main highlights I found are the tabs, which work the same way as on a desktop computer and switch VERY fast (unlike the Safari method), it doesn't appear to reload pages when you switch tabs, it has a "Find in page" search which highlights all found words and also has a full screen mode which places all the buttons at the bottom which to me makes a lot more sense then at the top of the iPad. Full screen even hides the iPad clock/wifi status bar.

A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google and for some reason the URL address bar some times takes a couple taps to bring up the onscreen keyboard.
How does googledocs work? Can you create new files, open and work on existing ones, and save them back to the cloud? Can you attach docs to emails?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
ClaireL
macrumors 6502a

I bought it last night and think it's the best browser for the iPad currently. It leaves Safari in the dust IMHO. I love the tabs, Adblock and it's speedy too.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:53 AM   #4
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireL;
I bought it last night and think it's the best browser for the iPad currently. It leaves Safari in the dust IMHO. I love the tabs, Adblock and it's speedy too.
I haven't found it to be speedier...some sites loaded about a second faster but others a second slower and others the same. Thought it would be faster since it blocks the ads. I love a lot of the features though.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

Okay pins and needles here guys - don't hold out on me!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
KJ500
macrumors member

just tried it. Meh

No real reason to switch from Safari.
KJ500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:19 AM   #7
ClaireL
macrumors 6502a

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXGuy;
I haven't found it to be speedier...some sites loaded about a second faster but others a second slower and others the same. Thought it would be faster since it blocks the ads. I love a lot of the features though.
Features are superior to Safari that's for sure.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Sleazy E
macrumors 65816

i would love "find in page" ability but its not enough for me to pay for. i will stick with Safari. I just tried Opera last night on the iphone and ipad and it was disappointing.
Sleazy E is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:23 AM   #9
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't updated Safari to have desktop like tabs. The way tabs are done on safari is lame. There should at least be an option for normal tabbed browsing.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:23 AM   #10
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody;
Okay pins and needles here guys - don't hold out on me!
Yes Google Docs works but it's buggy.

I was able to edit my spreadsheet that I had previously created but I cand scroll down or to the right, it only shows me what fits on the screen.

I was able to create a new spreadsheet and that worked ok and while I could start a new word processing document, the keyboard would not pop up for me to type.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:24 AM   #11
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy E;
i would love "find in page" ability but its not enough for me to pay for. i will stick with Safari. I just tried Opera last night on the iphone and ipad and it was disappointing.
Its 99 cents for crying out loud! Haha
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Sleazy E
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Its 99 cents for crying out loud! Haha
and the feature "find on page" isn't worth $.99 to me obviously. I use that feature maybe once every few weeks on my laptop so it is something I can live without. if I bought every item that I saw just because it was only $.99 I wouldn't have any money to buy what I actually want
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:38 AM   #13
vw195
macrumors 6502

Can one open a podcast/mp3 in one tab and listen to it playing in another tab? That deosnt work on safari
vw195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:39 AM   #14
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

True. The full screen browsing is pretty sweet though...when I go back to Safari now the a dress bar sticks out like a sore thumb. plus the tabs are so much better.

Did you try the free Lite version? I wonder what the limitations are vs the paid version.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:40 AM   #15
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw195 View Post
Can one open a podcast/mp3 in one tab and listen to it playing in another tab? That deosnt work on safari
Give me something to try and I'll tell you.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:42 AM   #16
fishepa
macrumors regular

Quote:

A couple downsides is that it doesn't auto suggest items when searching in Google
Can anyone else verify this? I use this feature all the time when searching Google. I would miss that.
fishepa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:45 AM   #17
Sleazy E
macrumors 65816

Quote:
True. The full screen browsing is pretty sweet though...when I go back to Safari now the a dress bar sticks out like a sore thumb. plus the tabs are so much better.

Did you try the free Lite version? I wonder what the limitations are vs the paid version.
they have a lite version? I am game for trying it out. The full screen browing does sound like it might be something I will like.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:45 AM   #18
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

It's true, trust me. Instead of suggestions, you get a list of different search engines such as Google, Bing, eBay, Amazon..or what ever you want to add. this is also where the Find in Page search is selected.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:48 AM   #19
vw195
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Give me something to try and I'll tell you.
Something like this page: http://twit.tv/twit

TIA
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:48 AM   #20
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy E View Post
they have a lite version? I am game for trying it out. The full screen browing does sound like it might be something I will like.
Just looked it up and it seems like the Lite version is just for the iPhone.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Sleazy E
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Just looked it up and it seems like the Lite version is just for the iPhone.
thanks for the heads up I will check it out right now.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:00 PM   #22
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Something like this page: http://twit.tv/twit

TIA
Is that supposed to be non Flash based because itbsays to install Flash.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:33 PM   #23
vw195
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Is that supposed to be non Flash based because itbsays to install Flash.
Interesting.. I dont have my ipad here. Normally I have it said up in a google reader feed that I can click on and it opens the mp3 player in a window. I will try it tonight as I went ahead and bought it
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:56 PM   #24
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes Google Docs works but it's buggy.

I was able to edit my spreadsheet that I had previously created but I cand scroll down or to the right, it only shows me what fits on the screen.

I was able to create a new spreadsheet and that worked ok and while I could start a new word processing document, the keyboard would not pop up for me to type.
MANY thanks. Bummer that it doesn't work better but it seems better than what we know of Safari in this regard.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:37 PM   #25
vw195
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Interesting.. I dont have my ipad here. Normally I have it said up in a google reader feed that I can click on and it opens the mp3 player in a window. I will try it tonight as I went ahead and bought it
For what it is worth, I was able to click on that twit.tv, select download audio which started the streaming podcast, switch to other tabs and surf to my hearts content. Pretty neat. Well worth .99. Wish it had a better improt function though

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps