Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:29 PM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

Is it easy to replace the Superdrive in the new MacBook Pro 2010 17" ?

Hello. I have seen videos on replacing the superdrive of the old MBP. Can't find anything about the new one. Is it as simple as removing the screws at the bottom, take out the bottom case and unplug the interface cable? If I take out the superdrive myself and replace it with something else, will I break the warranty? Thanks.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Hello. I have seen videos on replacing the superdrive of the old MBP. Can't find anything about the new one. Is it as simple as removing the screws at the bottom, take out the bottom case and unplug the interface cable? If I take out the superdrive myself and replace it with something else, will I break the warranty? Thanks.
Look at this iFixIt teardown:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...Teardown/618/1

And pretty much don't do the parts that says remove HDD, battery, motherboard, etc; only the ones relevant to the optical drive.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Balaamsdonkey
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Balaamsdonkey Send a message via MSN to Balaamsdonkey Send a message via Yahoo to Balaamsdonkey
Why would you want to if it is new?
Balaamsdonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:57 PM   #4
fuzzylemurs
macrumors member

If youre looking to replace it with a faster drive... just get an external. Else, a new internal drive, I like http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/ as a good alternative...

They also have a nice tutorial, or offer to do it for you for 99$
fuzzylemurs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:22 AM   #5
hajime
macrumors 68000

Thanks for the replies. I know about iFixit. The one posted on their site is the old MBP. As far as I know, there are some differences between the old and the just released models. For example, it was very easy to for the users to replace the keys/keyboard of the old model. As for the just release model, one has to take out all the internal parts. To replace the keyboard means replacing the upper case as well.

The new machine came with a SuperDrive which can play my DVDs for only five times due to region code restriction. That is the problem.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro