Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfhero

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Canada
Hi All,

Here goes the ramble...

I have a new 15" i7 and just ordered an optibay. I have a Super Talent 256GB SSD and a Seagate 500GB 7200rpm HDD. I'm hoping for some feedback on the best way to layout and partition this setup.

I'm looking to run MacOS 95% of the time so am hoping to install Win 7 on the HDD.

I am hoping to have a 160GB partition on the HDD for Win 7. I will use the entire SSD for MacOS and want to move my Music (110GB) to another HFS partition I will create on the HDD - everything else I want to keep on the SSD.

So a few questions - is it possible to have the SSD in the primary HDD bay and the HDD in the Optibay and still boot and run Win 7 from a partition in the HDD installed in the optibay?

Does this setup make sense to those of you who have done this before?

Basically I have a 256GB SSD and want to get the most out of it in MacOS and use the HDD for Windows and storing my Music...

Any insight or advice is much appreciated...

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes, I used to have it your style.

I then wanted to try Bootcamp on the SSD, so I re-partitioned my SSD so that I have a 64GB partion for bootcamp and 90GB for OSX in the SSD. The HDD I have it divided into HFS+ and NTFS.

Works perfectly either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.