Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I can't recall where I found out about this case at first (it might have been this massive accessories thread that was started in early February) or maybe it was from someone on Twitter. At any rate, I ordered it on April 2 and it just arrived today.

These cases mimic the Moleskine notebooks and I wanted it because I thought it would be good "camouflage" for my iPad in public. Now that I have the case, it definitely succeeds at this in my book and I'm pleased with it so far.

The case has a hard cardboard cover and the exterior is black and interior is red. Aside from the red interior (the Moleskine notebooks I've had have had off-white interiors), it looks just like a Moleskine notebook. The iPad sits in a bamboo frame that's meant to be light yet sturdy. There are 4 foam inserts in the corner that hold the iPad in place.

My iPad fits into the case perfectly and all of the ports are accessible thanks to cut-outs in the bamboo frame. The case feels sturdy and I still think it was a little expensive at $49.95 though it is handmade in the U.S. and I had a 20% off coupon (which has expired and I don't know of any others to share, unfortunately), so I'm not displeased with the value overall.

Here are pictures of the case from the Dodocase Facebook page:

26862_107575439281294_105269252845246_53877_6529490_n.jpg

26862_107575449281293_105269252845246_53879_682269_n.jpg

You can use the case as a stand, though in landscape orientation, it must be placed on a surface that provides enough friction so that the edge of the front cover won't slide out by itself. Standing it up in portrait mode is a little easier since you can just prop it up like an open book. Folding the cover over backward puts the iPad at a bit of an angle so that it's easier to type on while on your lap or a desk.

So far, my only durability concern has to do with the foam bits in the corners. I worry that they will compress over time and no longer hold the iPad in place well enough. However, I can't predict if/when that will happen since I lack expertise in foam longevity and durability. :D

(I have a first impressions video of this case up on my blog).

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
My only durability concern revolves around the four foam pieces in each corner. These serve to hold the iPad in place and they could compress over time and fail to hold the iPad in securely enough. I won't hazard a guess at how long they'll hold up, but I'm not extremely worried about them now.

Nice review! Could you comment on these foam pieces after a few more days of use? I really didn't think I'd like this case, but I actually do after watching your review. Could you possibly add picture/video of the foam pieces and the iPad sliding in/out? How is typing on it in landscape mode placed on a flat surface?

$50 seems a little pricey for this too.

r6girl

Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Nice video and review!

Thanks! :)

Nice review! Could you comment on these foam pieces after a few more days of use? I really didn't think I'd like this case, but I actually do after watching your review. Could you possibly add picture/video of the foam pieces and the iPad sliding in/out? How is typing on it in landscape mode placed on a flat surface?

$50 seems a little pricey for this too.

Thanks! :) Sure, I'll definitely comment on how the foam pieces hold up after a few days. I did get a comment back from Dodocase on my concern about them and they said they will sell replacement foam pieces in the future:

With respect to the bumpers, we expect them to have a long life under normal use, but will also make replacement bumpers available in the future.

You actually kind of pop the iPad in, though pop is really too strong a word since there's no tactile feedback once it's fully inserted. Essentially, you just press it into the foam and it doesn't really make contact with the bamboo frame since the foam holds it away from the frame a bit.

I haven't done a lot of typing on it in landscape mode on a table yet but will try that out and let you know...

SoundMan

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
Where did you buy it from???

It seems all the cases at mygearstore for the IPAD are sold out

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Mine came yesterday and it's really nice.
I do wish it was held more securely in the bamboo tray, but really unless you hold it upside down and shake it, it's not coming out. If you drop it while the flap is open, it would probably come out. I'm thinking of maybe adding some adhesive Velcro under the iPad for extra insurance.
$50 is a total bargain compared to all the crappy mass produced neoprene pouches that sell for the same price at the Apple store!

r6girl

Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Where did you buy it from???

It seems all the cases at mygearstore for the IPAD are sold out

You can only order it directly from DODOcase through their site at dodocase.com for the moment.

Awesome. I just got finished placing my order. How long did it take to deliver?

I ordered it April 2 and received it yesterday, so 27 days total. Their website says it takes 4 to 6 weeks to fulfill orders but it seems from their Facebook updates that they're starting to ramp up production so this could decrease in the near future.

Mine came yesterday and it's really nice.
I do wish it was held more securely in the bamboo tray, but really unless you hold it upside down and shake it, it's not coming out. If you drop it while the flap is open, it would probably come out. I'm thinking of maybe adding some adhesive Velcro under the iPad for extra insurance.
$50 is a total bargain compared to all the crappy mass produced neoprene pouches that sell for the same price at the Apple store!

Yeah, it can come out if you shake it but I haven't had it fall out during casual use at all yet. I could see adding strips of the foam they use (I think this can be purchased at any hardware store) to the sides or bottom of the frame's interior to help hold it in a bit more, but I don't see the need for this yet.

I agree - compared to some of the sloppy mass-produced cases I've seen, $50 is not bad for a hand-crafted item.

r6girl

Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
has it scratched the back of your iPad? Thats my main concern.

Nope, not at all. The bamboo frames is positioned such that the iPad's back doesn't appear to make contact with the inside cover at all.

What stops the ipad from falling out of it?

The foam pieces in the corners hold the iPad in place, and they do a fairly decent job at it since the iPad won't fall out on its own – you need to shake it out or push down on one end to compress the foam pieces on the other end and tilt it out.

I also considered that case but decided that I wanted a case that I didn't have to remove the iPad from to use it. I've heard that TwelveSouth will be making an iPad version of this case but I opted for the DODOcase since it was available sooner (and I think TwelveSouth will use a zip closure with that case and I'm not really a fan of those).

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
How does the fold over position for typing compare to the apple case? That's my main concern as I don't care for the apple case that much but I use the typing position of it all the time.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I saw this case yesterday. My only qualm is the fact that the rise is not high enough. There's only a slight rise basically from the binding. If it had a higher rise I'd be all over this case.

rogerh

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Is it possible to prop on the iPad horizontally with the case flap or do you still have to get a stand?

edit:

nevermind watched the videos on the site..

making my order now :)

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Nice review... and now I'm even more sorely tempted by the DODOcase, even though I've bought a SGP Vintage Edition case (it goes well with a full grain leather bag from Spitalfields Market :D) and I'm planning on getting the SGP Ultra Slider when it's out... would love to justify having 3 cases, even harder to do when two of them are of similar design!

rogerh

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
To the original poster:

Do you think it would be possible to fit a iPad with a Switcheasy nude case on?

Paik4Life

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the review!

I kind of wish that I had known about the Dodocase earlier. I already placed an order with iKit for their Folio case. Which looks great and is made of genuine leather and sells for $40. Seen here: http://www.ikit.com/productdetails....roductURLFriendlyName=iPad_Leather_folio_Case

The problem I'm having with iKit is that they keep changing their shipping date for preorders. First they said the end of April, then yesterday they told me on Twitter the end of this week or early next week, and today I saw they updated their site to say that preorders won't ship until the third week of May. I'm waiting for a response from them, but if it is the third week of May, I'll cancel my order and order the Dodocase instead. At least these guys are keeping their customers up to date.

On the other hand, I woodwork as a hobby and am wondering if I could reproduce a Dodocase of my own with my own wood. Of course I don't know anything about book binding, but their video makes it look pretty simple and I'm sure I can find some book binding tutorial on the web.

~Paik

TheLee

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
How stable is it when you fold the cover back around for typing in landscape? Does it have a tendency to fall flat? If you fold the cover back around to hold it in your left hand in portrait mode, does the extra width from the binding make it harder to hold?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I ordered one two days ago, delivering to the UK. Shame that I'll have to use my iPad naked after the UK launch until the DODOcase turns up.

r6girl

Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I saw this case yesterday. My only qualm is the fact that the rise is not high enough. There's only a slight rise basically from the binding. If it had a higher rise I'd be all over this case.

While not as high as the Apple case, the rise is still decent and beats using the iPad without a case by far. I took a few very quick pics with my iPhone to show the difference between the two:

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

To the original poster:

Do you think it would be possible to fit a iPad with a Switcheasy nude case on?

No, I don't (and I've seen this case on iPhones in person before and understand how thin they are). First, there is very little clearance between the frame and the sides of the iPad. Also, forcing an iPad with even a thin case on it would most likely break in the foam pieces to a degree that would make the case unusable with a naked iPad (e.g. the foam will give so much that it won't hold a naked iPad in securely anymore).

Thanks for the review!

Glad you enjoyed it!

How stable is it when you fold the cover back around for typing in landscape? Does it have a tendency to fall flat? If you fold the cover back around to hold it in your left hand in portrait mode, does the extra width from the binding make it harder to hold?

It is very stable and never falls flat. It is far more stable than the Apple case since the DODOcase's cover is reinforced with thick cardboard. I always found the Apple case to be a bit wobbly because the cover isn't as stiff and has some give.

When folded and held in portrait mode, it's not too uncomfortable to hold. However, I find myself just holding it like a book (with the left side extended and held in my left hand) most of the time when I want to use it in portrait mode.

How does the fold over position for typing compare to the apple case? That's my main concern as I don't care for the apple case that much but I use the typing position of it all the time.

See the pics above. The Apple case does give it a better angle. I find the DODOcase to provide more protection and look a lot nicer, but that's just personal preference.

TheLee

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
It is very stable and never falls flat. It is far more stable than the Apple case since the DODOcase's cover is reinforced with thick cardboard. I always found the Apple case to be a bit wobbly because the cover isn't as stiff and has some give.

When folded and held in portrait mode, it's not too uncomfortable to hold. However, I find myself just holding it like a book (with the left side extended and held in my left hand) most of the time when I want to use it in portrait mode.

thanks for the response! i'm really torn between dodocase or the macally book stand. one last thing - when you mean you hold it like a book, do you mean like you have the whole thing opened and you're holding it from the bottom via the binding with your left hand? or do you mean the left side is pointing out to the right (so the ipad is on the left side and "upside down") and you're holding the ipad with your left hand that way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.