Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Just installed the Wrapsol shield on the MBP. Great product. $29 at Fry's, and easy install with no bubbles. The Wrapsol pieces come pre-cut, and fit flawlessly. No lifting at the corners. My previous experience with Wrapsol has been good. No yellowing or lifting. Finish is a matte/satin, with a very slight rubber type feel. Helps in gripping.

I also bought a Spec Satin case, and have been reluctant to use it because of the caught dirt and scratching issues. The Spec case fits fine around the wrapped MBP. Now with the Wrapsol, I don't have that problem and can armor the MBP for travel, and let her lounge naked around the house the rest of the time.

Attachments

• DSCN0243.jpg
    DSCN0243.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 730
  • DSCN0248.JPG
    DSCN0248.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 588
  • DSCN0249.JPG
    DSCN0249.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 554
  • DSCN0251.JPG
    DSCN0251.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 594

justn

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
SoCen Cal
I love how the Wrapsol shield looks on that. I had a friend put an invisible shield on his older non-unibody MacBook Pro and I didn't really like how it looked. The Wrapsol however, looks excellent. I'm almost half tempted to get one for my new MacBook Pro after seeing it on yours.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Just installed a Wrapsol on my new MBP. This is my fourth Wrapsol install (2x 13" MBPs and 2x 15" MBPs), and I've also done a bunch of IS/BSE installs on classic MacBook Pros. I think this one probably came out the best for me in terms of perfect alignment.

Can't say enough about how much I love Wrapsol on my MBP. The matte finish blends nicely with the aluminum, keeping it as nakey as possible while providing scratch protection.

Thought I would add my pics to the mix, in case anyone was considering a Wrapsol. I don't use the track pad piece. $30 on Amazon or at Fry's.

4872889041_0ea08873f1_b.jpg
4872888187_97c5eede8e_b.jpg
4872887071_9929bfd81e_b.jpg

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Nice pics. As the OP, I've still got the wrapsol on my 15" MBP. As an update, it's as tight as the day I installed it. No lifting at the corners after 4.5 months, looking great! I heartily recommend Wrapsol to anyone looking for a clear skin cover.

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I like the idea of the Wrapsol but I'm hesitant to use one because it detracts from the look and feel of the naked macbook. Plus it's a laptop--who puts screen shields on laptops? They don't get handled the same way a cell phone does.

Also, the most commonly scratched/dented/chipped part of the new unibody macbook pros are the sharp edges themselves. The Wrapsols do not cover these edges, only the flat regions that are seldom scratched anyway under typical use.

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I like the idea of the Wrapsol but I'm hesitant to use one because it detracts from the look and feel of the naked macbook. Plus it's a laptop--who puts screen shields on laptops? They don't get handled the same way a cell phone does.

Also, the most commonly scratched/dented/chipped part of the new unibody macbook pros are the sharp edges themselves. The Wrapsols do not cover these edges, only the flat regions that are seldom scratched anyway under typical use.

Wrapsol isn't a screen shield. Not at all. It covers the top, bottom, and (critically) the palm rests. Nothing on the screen. It's well-documented that skin oils eventually discolor the palm rests on the aluminum MBPs. In addition, it protects against the surface scratches on the top and bottom, especially if you use an occasional case like the Speck. In this application, it's essential. Most of the older unibodies I've seen that don't have skins are well-scratched.

As I said, I've had mine 4.5 months. No corner rash at all (I'm careful), and my reason for the wrapsol was palmrest protection and a swirl mark condom. :)

sk8r1230

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
how does it cover the apple on the lid? is it a circle cut out or does it cover the apple logo completely?

ccashman92

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
how does it cover the apple on the lid? is it a circle cut out or does it cover the apple logo completely?

Its clear, so most likely covers it.

By the way, Are you able to take this anywhere to get installed? Best Buy?

andrew086

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
I have the wrapsol too and I love it. Only problem is that it doesn't cover the sides of the laptop :(. My sister was handing it to me and it scraped against some metal and now I have a nasty scratch on the front side of it. Other than that, it's great. I got it for $25 on Amazon.

All I can say is to stay as far away as possible from any carpets. I made that mistake for the first piece I applied (the palm rest) and I had to lift it up countless times because I was constantly finding lint that got stuck under it.

eng42ine

macrumors 68000

1. It doesn't take away from the look or feel at all, it's a matte finish, much like the Aluminum itself, so it blends in, you really have to look to see it.

2. Where did you read that its a screen cover? Nothing I've seen on here, or on the Wrapsol website have I ever seen anything that would make me thing that..
Its clear, so most likely covers it.

By the way, Are you able to take this anywhere to get installed? Best Buy?
It does cover it, like the OP said. And I haven't seen anyone that would apply it, but it's really not that hard to do yourself, as long as you have patience and about 45 min.
I have the wrapsol too and I love it. Only problem is that it doesn't cover the sides of the laptop :(. My sister was handing it to me and it scraped against some metal and now I have a nasty scratch on the front side of it. Other than that, it's great. I got it for $25 on Amazon.

All I can say is to stay as far away as possible from any carpets. I made that mistake for the first piece I applied (the palm rest) and I had to lift it up countless times because I was constantly finding lint that got stuck under it.
I think the carpet thing goes without saying (although, apparently not :rolleyes:), but yes, keep it away from any dust, lint, pet hair, etc while applying, or you will be applying and re-applying and increasing the chances that you will warp the skin.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I went looking for this on Amazon, and it was 24$ but out of stock , wrapsol website is also out of stock, I note the amazon reviews for the 17" shields are very negative, saying the cut and fit is way off, maybe the lack of product and reviews are related?

xtine911

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
@diablo2112 Is it a tighter fit for the Speck case now that you've Wrapsol'ed MBP? Any chance of the Wrapsol peeling off from coming into contact with the clips on the Speck? Also, have you noticed any scratches/dents on the MBP itself where the Speck clips come into contact with the MBP? Thank you :)

undercompensate

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
I've also tried applying a Wrapsol onto my mbp after using an invisible shield for a year.

Gotta agree with the others, hands down Wrapsol's texture > IS. The matte finish mimics the mbp's original texture much better than slightly stick orange peel, if you know what I mean.

However, I've developed a small orange-yellow dot on the back of my mbp just after 3 days since application. Does anyone else notice discoloration of the Wrapsol in the long run?

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
I have enough problems with keeping heat down with gaming. Another layer of insulation sounds like a bad idea.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Is anybody getting this for new mbp 15 2011????

Can we share some info if someone finds them? Yes, I know mbp 15 2010 and 2011 is same but I want it to be exactly the same(meaning I don't want to shell out money for 2010 wrapsol version and find that it is not to the teeth)..

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
There were no changes to the unibody the thunderbolt utilizes an existing port so the wrapsol is the same exact specifications for the 2011

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
There were no changes to the unibody the thunderbolt utilizes an existing port so the wrapsol is the same exact specifications for the 2011

Ok, great... I will start looking for them ... let me know if guys find some good deals on line~~

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
one more thing those of you who have done it for 2010.. does this cover the screws at the bottom? I am still waiting for my memory.. and also ssd at some point this year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.