Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:38 AM   #1
DHKaplan
macrumors newbie

External Drive does not appear in Finder "Devices"

I just noticed that my external drive used for Time Machine has disappeared from the Finder "Devices" section. Thankfully it continues to work fine and Time Machine can access it, but it makes me nervous!

Disk Utility sees the drive and partition just fine. I've run Disk Utility Repair disk both from the startup drive and the install DVD and there are no errors. Repair permissions is greyed out/disabled under both conditions. All the rest of my internal and external drives are visible in Devices.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

DHK
DHKaplan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:42 AM   #2
spinnerlys

You can either use Finder > Preferences > Sidebar or drag it yourself to the Sidebar to get the icon back.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:44 AM   #3
DHKaplan
macrumors newbie

My problem is that there is nothing to drag. It doesn't appear in preferences, or anywhere else other than Disk Utility...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:50 AM   #4
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKaplan View Post
My problem is that there is nothing to drag. It doesn't appear in preferences, or anywhere else other than Disk Utility...
So not even here?

Is the HDD mounted? If not, the volume's name is grayed out in Disk Utility. If so, click the MOUNT button.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:59 AM   #5
DHKaplan
macrumors newbie

That did it! I used the "GO" menu option of finder to go to the computer, and the drive was visible. Perhaps it had accidentally gotten dragged off the left side... Anyway THANK YOU!

A really quick resolution.

DHK

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help