Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:21 AM   #1
Whigga Spitta
macrumors 6502

Does iPod battery need replacing?

Actually, the name of the thread should actually be, "will Apple replace my iPod battery for me?"

I bought a refurbished 40GB iPod about 3 months ago (3rd Generation), and since then the battery seems to be diminishing. As of late, I have only gotten about 2 hours of REAL listening out of it. I went to the iPod support site and timed running my iPod continuously, as Apple suggests. It ran for just over 4 hours. I thought the 3G iPods should be running at 6-8 hours? Do I have a case here for a new battery? This drives me crazy when I want to listen to it walking around campus, because I always forget what lousy battery life this thing has. I'm not knocking all iPods though, I lived with a 15 GB happilly for over a year until it ran out of harddrive space...
Old Sep 28, 2004, 08:28 AM   #2
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Get it replaced before the warranty expires!
Typical running time should be within 6-8 hours as you said!
I'm still getting almost 6 hours on my 2.5 years old 10GB iPod
cluthz is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2004, 09:24 AM   #3
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whigga Spitta
does iPod battery need replacing?
ha ha. LOL. nope, because you can't replace it.

but get Apple to have a look at it while it's under warranty, you don't want to be left dead in the water, especially with out any 'tunes.

i thought that the battery in the iPod can't be replaced? when ever you send it to Apple, they just send you a new iPod? anyone know about that. i could have sworn i read that somewhere...
Old Sep 28, 2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Whigga Spitta
macrumors 6502

getting a new ipod (4th generation) would not be a bad thing...
Old Sep 28, 2004, 09:55 AM   #5
hcuar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whigga Spitta
getting a new ipod (4th generation) would not be a bad thing...
Yes, exactly. We don't want to bother Apple with replacing his battery. Come on... His iPod isn't that old. Have Apple replace the battery.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:30 AM   #6
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb911
ha ha. LOL. nope, because you can't replace it.

but get Apple to have a look at it while it's under warranty, you don't want to be left dead in the water, especially with out any 'tunes.

i thought that the battery in the iPod can't be replaced? when ever you send it to Apple, they just send you a new iPod? anyone know about that. i could have sworn i read that somewhere...
What the hell drugs are you on? Of course you can replace it! For $50. Apple probably refurbs them when they do it themselves, which takes a while... so you get a different iPod back, but in a couple of months, someone might get your old one (all buffed and clean). I'm pretty sure that's how the official battery replacement program works... but yeah, you can change the battery.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:53 AM   #7
thedoc1111
macrumors regular

http://www.ipodbattery.com/slimipodinstall.htm

Says it all - a google search for ipod battery gives you this.

I always find it useful to quickly 'google' something before I post if I'm not sure - it's as far away as the top-right hand corner of your Window!

Mike
thedoc1111 is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2004, 03:40 PM   #8
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc1111
http://www.ipodbattery.com/slimipodinstall.htm

Says it all - a google search for ipod battery gives you this.

I always find it useful to quickly 'google' something before I post if I'm not sure - it's as far away as the top-right hand corner of your Window!

Mike
At least it is if you use Safari or Firefox - I miss the easy Google search when I'm stuck on a PC with Netscape and/or IE. I'm surprised to find out that the iPod battery actually CAN be replaced. I was in the same frame of mind as an earlier poster that thought you always got a new iPod when you asked to get the battery replaced.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 04:10 PM   #9
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

you can even replace it yourself if you are daring there are kits out there that you can get
Old Sep 29, 2004, 03:25 AM   #10
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
i really can't tell you what i've been smoking. you might have to ask the Greens.

but i'm glad to know now that you can replace it. remember that guy who went around spraying his anti-iPod stuff? i thought that he was mad because you can't replace the battery? or maybe it was just because he needed his replaced his after a year or something. it'd be interesting to see if that guy is still using an iPod actually...

i also thought that Apple's iPod battery replacement program was $99 (USD i guess?)
Old Sep 29, 2004, 03:32 AM   #11
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Goddamn internet...

Seriously..the VERY first iPods had the problem with the batteries not being able to be easily replaced (or at all). The problem was SOLVED by the third generation. It's $99 bucks, or covered under warranty if your battery last less than half the reported life (under testing, about 4 hrs). So, take it in, what have you got to lose?
tdhurst is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers