Doctor Q
Administrator

MacRumors 2010 Blood Drive!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MR-Blood-Drive.png
Views:	690
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	224390

Most MacRumors members are helpful people. They come to the rescue of people with problems in the Mac community and save each other time, trouble, and money. Now we're going to take it to the next level and apply that spirit to the real world community. How? By asking everyone to donate blood this month or next month. By donating blood at your local donor center you will help people who need blood to survive or to recover from injury or illness.

The MacRumors Blood Drive was proposed and planned by forum member ShaunPriest. MacRumors wholeheartedly supports the effort. It's easy to be a hero and we ask everyone eligible to join our effort and donate blood.

Why should you donate blood? Because one hour of your time during the next 2 months can change someone's life immeasurably. The need is great and it's an ideal way to "pay it foward" - help others just as others may help you if you ever need blood. Donating to charities is one way to help people in need but no amount of money can replace a unit of blood when it's needed. You'll probably help somebody in your own neighborhood!

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive:

1. Donate blood in May or June!
Pick a day in May or June when you can spare that hour. Then donate blood, platelets, or plasma.
2. Let us know about it!
Name:  bandage-photo.jpg
Views: 4493
Size:  22.8 KB

Blood donation is a selfless act. The reward is a huge amount of personal satisfaction that's hard to describe and more than outweighs the inconvenience and any minor discomfort.

But... we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.

So... after you donate you'll get an arm bandage. We want to see it! Take a photo of you arm with the bandage on, then post it in this thread. If you donate blood but don't get a photo, tell us about your donation anyway.

Please mention if you're a first-time donor. We hope to have both regular donors and new donors respond to our call to action!
3. Spread the word!

Convincing someone else to donate blood adds to the supply just as much as donating yourself. Not everyone is eligible to donate blood, but even if you can't donate please support our efforts.
  1. Put this line in your forum signature to show that you support our efforts:
    :) [color=red]I support the [thread=907650]MacRumors Blood Drive[/thread]![/color] :)
    It'll come out as follows, with a link to this thread:
    I support the MacRumors Blood Drive!
  2. Encourage people you know to join our Blood Drive. If you convince a friend or family member to donate, take a bandage photo of their arm and post it here!

Important: If you want to discuss the controversies about FDA blood donor criteria or the equivalents in other countries, or if you aren't a supporter of blood donations and want to discuss it, post in the Give Blood! thread, where these issues are already being discussed. This thread is for celebrating the participants in the MacRumors Blood Drive.

See also the MacRumors Blood Drive announcement and its discussion thread.

Last edited by Doctor Q; May 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added link to announcement and its discussion thread
Doctor Q is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000

Name:	MR-Blood-Drive-Honor-Roll.png
Views:	129
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	224459

The following MacRumors users have reported their blood, platelet, or plasma donation in this thread. Congratulations and thank you for doing your part to help people in need!
  • 1st May whoseawhat (B)
  • 3rd May Patdt13 (B), santanamac (B), BayouMan (B), Stecchino (P*), TEG (B)
  • 4th May ShaunPriest (B), meierjo (B)
  • 5th May josh.odermatt (B), GrassFarm (P), iMaxwell.Morgan (B), bassguy67 (B), NakedPaulToast (B), -=bitbucket=- (P**), godslabrat (P**)
  • 6th May macbook yes (B)
  • 7th May sumrexnox (B), pilotsteveo (B), kfbest (B)
  • 9th May Airforcekid (B)
  • 10th May iSaint (B*)
  • 11th May dmr727 (B), DanielJvdBerg (B)
  • 12th May parasyte (B), zignguy (B)
  • 13th May tooz (B)
  • 15th May Doctor Q (B)
  • 17th May Icestorm815 (B)
  • 19th May GrassFarm (P*), CANEHDN (B)
  • 20th May steveza (B), jonathanbloom (B)
  • 21st May bbarnhart (B)
  • 22nd May Slade Mahoney (B)
  • 27th May mickbab (B), jake.f (B)
  • 28th May stridemat (B)
  • 29th May KingSleaze (P**)
  • 31st May TimNiego (B*)
  • 1st June lostprophet894 (B), GrassFarm (P*)
  • 9th June macbook yes (P)
  • 10th June AlecEdworthy (B)
  • 11th June spazzcat (B)
  • 12th June KingSleaze (P**)
  • 14th June Bloake (B)
  • 15th June GrassFarm (P*), hulugu (B)
  • 16th June ergdegdeg (B), cjmillsnun (B)
  • 18th June ldkaplan (B)
  • 22nd June jaknudsen (B)
  • 26th June KingSleaze (P**)
  • 28th June G4-power (B)
  • 29th June spillproof (B)
  • 30th June bassguy67 (B), Mr. Chewbacca (B)

(B) - Blood Donation
(P) - Platelets Donation
(Pm) - Plasma Donation

* - Double Unit
** - Triple Unit!

48 Units of Blood and 25 Units of Platelets were donated during the blood drive - 73 units total!

Last edited by Doctor Q; Apr 26, 2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: final tally
Shaun.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000

Hello everyone!

Many people considering donating for the first time may be wondering what happens when you donate blood. Blood donation takes about an hour for a health interview, the setup, the actual donation, and relaxing afterwards. The actual blood draw takes only 5 to 10 minutes and makes a huge difference to the recipient who gets it. Here is an interactive demonstration of the procedure in the UK. Although the procedure in the US (or in other countries) may be slightly different, the underlying procedure is the same.

Donating blood is extremely rewarding. Most people are eligible but only approximately 4% of the population chooses to donate blood - and in some cases this unfortunately is not enough to meet the ongoing demand. Donating blood does save lives! One such example can be watched here where a woman who needed huge amounts of blood (donated by many different donors) discusses her situation and how blood donors saved her life.

If you are interested in donating, the next step would be to find out if you are eligible (US |UK) to give blood. If you are in doubt over your eligibility, please contact your local blood donation service.

Finally, here are the answers to some frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding blood donation and below are some handy links.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank You!

Handy LinksAdditional llinks provided by our users:

Last edited by Doctor Q; May 12, 2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added Finland, Sweden, Columbia, Mexico, The Netherlands
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:41 PM   #4
andalusia
macrumors 68030

I do plan on giving blood in the next couple of months. Funnily enough we were talking about it a couple of days ago, which is when I decided I would do it.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Apr 30, 2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: removed quote
andalusia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 05:52 AM   #5
tooz
macrumors 6502

I shall be giving blood (and hopefully pallets) in two weeks
tooz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Mexbearpig
macrumors 65816

I would donate blood but I'm only 14. But when I turn 17 hopefully I will be able to donate .
And I'm curious, why was this moved to Site and Forum Feedback?
Mexbearpig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 12:20 AM   #7
Doctor Q
Administrator

Depending on the state, 16-year-olds may be able to donate blood with parental permission. In some states parental permission is required for 17-year-olds to donate blood. More about that here.

We're providing links to the American Red Cross because they are well-known and provide a lot of information on the web, but remember that you can donate blood at hospitals, "bloodmobiles" at mobile blood drives, and other blood collection centers. We have no preference for one over another, since our campaign is not linked to any other organization or geographic location.

Mexbearpig: We use the Site and Forum Feedback forum for announcements and the Community Discussion forum for community-oriented projects. We left the thread visible at the top of both forums for increased exposure.
Old May 2, 2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000

I will be making my donation on Tuesday afternoon, and I will be sure to post a picture .

Is anyone else interested in participating?
Old May 2, 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
dmr727
macrumors G3

^^^ I got your PM, and I'm definitely in. Donating prevents me from working for three days afterwards, so I'll have to find some time where I know I'll be off, but I'll be back with an arm pic as soon as it happens! This coming Friday seems okay so far.
dmr727 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
Our Fort Collins Jaycees group has a public blood drive on June 9th - I'll be donating then, and will encourage others to come in and visit. If you're in the area, drop by Culver's for give a pint/get a pint for a free pint of frozen custard to all donors.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Patdt13
macrumors 6502

I donated today.

Patdt13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 11:57 AM   #12
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000

Congratulations! The first donation!
Old May 3, 2010, 04:52 PM   #13
GFSarah
macrumors regular

I give on a regular basis, but last time (2 weeks ago) was turned away for low iron. I've been making efforts to correct that and will post the picture if I'm successful!

What a great thing for MacRumors to encourage and support!
GFSarah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 05:13 PM   #14
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

The NBS website is pretty poor in terms of trying to book appointments. The fact that you can't book one and know straight away if you got it is slack. All of my local mobile services come at really crap times before I get home from work. Just found a semi close one on the way home from work so I am trying to book into that one. If not then I'll have to drive to the "local" centre.

I'm sure if I were AB- or O- I would probably have no problems getting an appointment.

I'm going to try and become a component donor next time I go in or at least get tested (iirc). I believe last time I tried some 3 years ago they said my levels were borderline too low and didn't let me.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 06:05 PM   #15
Shadow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Shadow
Will be doing so either 4th or 5th May. It'll be my second time
Old May 4, 2010, 11:29 AM   #16
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000

Donated!

The iron level test has changed in my local donation centre. You used to get a prick to your thumb and they would drop some blood into a solution. If it never dropped fast enough when inside the solution your iron was too low. Now they prick your middle finger and collect blood which goes in a machine. The machine pops out a number. I was told anything over 135 for a male is fine. Mines read 148.

Oh, and they simply stick a plaster (band-aid) over where the needle was. No bandages!

Last edited by Shaun.P; May 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:29 AM   #17
nickspohn
macrumors 68040

There is a blood drive at my school tomorrow so I'll post up a picture after that. This is a great idea. It's nice when large online communities team up and help people.

-nick
nickspohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:31 AM   #18
noodle654
macrumors 68000

I gave blood 2 weeks ago at my school, so I cannot give blood again for a few more weeks.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:44 AM   #19
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

Awesome thread! I try to donate my B- blood as often as possible.

Usually, I give blood every 112 days since I do the automated double-red donations. My next eligible donation date is 6/16, and I've already made my appointment

here's my most recent one, snapped with my iPhone:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22450_671456663382_8101060_38571263_2687936_n.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	224939  
MBHockey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:52 AM   #20
santanamac
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to santanamac Send a message via Yahoo to santanamac
did it yesterday! may 3rd

i was driving by a blood drive and decided to pull in. will do again in 60 days in MR honors.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	29466_405957743000_593958000_4185548_5593745_n.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	225033  

Last edited by santanamac; May 4, 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: posting pic
santanamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 12:07 PM   #21
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by santanamac View Post
will post pic later

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspohn View Post
There is a blood drive at my school tomorrow so I'll post up a picture after that. This is a great idea. It's nice when large online communities team up and help people.

-nick

Great! Post a picture and we'll get you added to the honour roll!
Old May 4, 2010, 12:35 PM   #22
Daphtdazz
macrumors member

O negative

Great to see MacRumors pushing blood donations.

I've been giving blood as regularly as possible for the last couple of years and am not due for a couple of months, but good luck to anyone going for their first time!

By the way, anyone else cool like me and have O negative blood?
Daphtdazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 12:43 PM   #23
BayouMan
macrumors member

I donated Monday afternoon. Wish I had seen the announcement first, i would have taken a picture of my armband.
BayouMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 12:55 PM   #24
Jasonbot
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Jasonbot Send a message via MSN to Jasonbot
Here's my donation from 18 March. I can donate again on 13 May. I'll go then Or whenever the vampires are on campus again...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	224943  

Last edited by Jasonbot; May 4, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Jasonbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 12:56 PM   #25
Shaun.P
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbot View Post
Here's my donation from 18 March. I can donate again on 13 March. I'll go then Or whenever the vampires are on campus again...
Do you mean 13th May? Post a picture from this donation and we'll add you to the list .

Last edited by Shaun.P; May 4, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
announcement