Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Say I am witnessing a crime and have an opportunity to take photos or a video of it. Then lets say I want to submit them to authorities as evidence but do so anonymously. If I get the "original" pictures to the authorities either by sending from an anonymous email address, or on a flash drive or CD etc, can the information recorded with the file be traced back to my iPhone, thus identifying me?

Basically, does the EXIF information recorded with the file include info that IDs the exact iPhone?

Mike

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
Interesting scenario... I wonder if the iPhones geotagging gets saved somehow if you were to put it on a flash drive. I'd like the answer to this question also.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Interesting scenario... I wonder if the iPhones geotagging gets saved somehow if you were to put it on a flash drive. I'd like the answer to this question also.
yes it does get saved, I have many a time moved images off my iPhone on to a usb drive and later imported into iphoto on my macbook and it knows where the photo was taken in places

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
can the information recorded with the file be traced back to my iPhone, thus identifying me?

Basically, does the EXIF information recorded with the file include info that IDs the exact iPhone?

No! The EXIF Data only records that the photo was taken on an iPhone. If geotagging is enabled when the photo is taken, the location is also recorded.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
So, to actually answer the guy's question: no, there shouldn't be any data that could be traced back to your phone, cerrainly not your name or email address. Geotagging, yes, but that wouldnt rrally help anyone find you or the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.