Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

iPhone SIM confirmed to work in iPad with modification/settings change...

http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-news/7...k-ipad-3g.html

Once you cut your iPhone SIM (by tracing the size of the iPad microSIM), you have to go into Settings->Cellular Data->APN Settings and change the APN to phone (instead of broadband as is the default)

It apparently fits back together like a puzzle piece so you can put it back into your iPhone without a problem. Pretty slick.

HXGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
troop231
macrumors 601

Awesome, ATT patch in 3.. 2.. 1..
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:10 PM   #3
HXGuy
macrumors 68000

How awesome would it be if they could get this thing to make/receive phone calls and be able to use a Bluetooth earphone with it? That would rock!
HXGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:10 PM   #4
HelveticaNeue
macrumors 6502a

Thank you, sir for posting this link. You have helped answer one of the greatest questions which has lingered since the iPad was announced. Now, we just need confirmation (through the use of a T-mobile since to access EDGE) that the iPad is 100%, Absolutely, whole-heartedly unlocked ... utterly.

It's not that I don't trust Steve ... but he is sometimes carefully with how things are said and I see places where he could use loopholes.
HelveticaNeue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:20 PM   #5
MiguelS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXGuy View Post
How awesome would it be if they could get this thing to make/receive phone calls and be able to use a Bluetooth earphone with it? That would rock!

that will happen soon....

would be awesome if MagicJack would make an app.

hopefully the sims won't get married through sw.
MiguelS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

OK, but now that your iPhone SIM is cut down how do you use your iPhone? What am I missing here?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
you have to go into Settings->Cellular Data->APN Settings and change the APN to phone (instead of broadband as is the default)
This potentially great news for those of us that are waiting for the iPhone 4G!

Unless like some are suggesting that Apple or AT&T may lock the iPhone microSim or this work around out at some point....
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:44 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
OK, but now that your iPhone SIM is cut down how do you use your iPhone? What am I missing here?
You put it back into the space you cut out and put the whole business back into the iPhone.

Personally I just ordered the microSIM adapter and I'm going to go to the AT&T store to pick up a new SIM card; then I'll change the SIM card on my iPhone to the microSIM and use the adapter.

Of course the only reason for this is because the unlimited international data plan on the iPhone is only $65 and it's like $200 for 200MB for the iPad.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Dr Kevorkian94
macrumors 68020

so say i do this, when i put the sim back in my iphone do i have to go change settings again?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:51 PM   #10
mayassa
macrumors regular

Makes me wonder if I can use my iPad sim in my iPhone this would be real cheap for a phone plan. I have an extra sim card il report back after I do a little magic with my exacto knife.
mayassa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:54 PM   #11
marcovortex
macrumors member

Wink Rogers sim works as well..

Also want to confirm that I got my Rogers sim card to work in the iPad no problem after being cut to the right size. So any Canadians wondering if there sims will work, the answer is yes..
marcovortex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:04 PM   #12
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

Sounds dangerous, if you try putting the cut apart Micro-SIM (but pieced back togethter to make it a regular SIM) in the iPhone after, you risk getting the SIM card stuck in the slot. I am certain Apple/AT&T would not appreciate your warranty request either.
ovrlrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:13 PM   #13
mayassa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayassa View Post
Makes me wonder if I can use my iPad sim in my iPhone this would be real cheap for a phone plan. I have an extra sim card il report back after I do a little magic with my exacto knife.
Ok that's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back. It didn't work.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 07:15 PM   #14
mayassa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
Sounds dangerous, if you try putting the cut apart Micro-SIM (but pieced back togethter to make it a regular SIM) in the iPhone after, you risk getting the SIM card stuck in the slot. I am certain Apple/AT&T would not appreciate your warranty request either.
Tape it on to the sim. Live a little
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:28 PM   #15
peestandingup
macrumors regular

Quote:
You can. Link. But you'll never be able to make "regular" calls in an iPad because there's no cell radio built into them.

BTW, a better/cheaper solution would be to cancel your iPhone plan, get the $30 iPad data plan & use the iPad's micro-SIM in an adapter like this in your iPhone. Then switch back & forth when needed.

You could get your calls through a SIP application on both devices.
peestandingup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 03:18 AM   #16
cheekyjeremy
macrumors regular

Forgive me if this is really obvious, but what is the benefit of cutting down your sim to become a mini sim ?. What does this get you that you couldn't have other ways
cheekyjeremy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 04:26 AM   #17
sactownbwoy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyjeremy View Post
Forgive me if this is really obvious, but what is the benefit of cutting down your sim to become a mini sim ?. What does this get you that you couldn't have other ways
The iPad uses a micro sim, so you cut your iPhone sim to fit the iPad and can use that instead of paying for another data plan.
Old May 1, 2010, 04:57 AM   #18
p-rice
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
You can. Link. But you'll never be able to make "regular" calls in an iPad because there's no cell radio built into them.
I may be wrong but isn't the 3G chip basically "cell radio"? I'm thinking the only thing stopping the iPad from making calls is lack of the actual phone app. That is if you use your cut iPhone's sim card in it and not the built in sim card/plan.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:19 AM   #19
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post

Of course the only reason for this is because the unlimited international data plan on the iPhone is only $65 and it's like $200 for 200MB for the iPad.
Are you talking data? The prices for data are the same. That $200 you speak of.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:41 AM   #20
hariustrk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelS View Post
that will happen soon....

would be awesome if MagicJack would make an app.

hopefully the sims won't get married through sw.
A skype subsciption costs about the same as magic jack, and skype works well on iPad.
hariustrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 07:10 AM   #21
SteveWTW
macrumors member

Does anyone have a tempate of exactly where to cut a regular sim to convert it to a microsim?

I'm planning to do this with my Virgin Media 3G dongle which costs 5 per month for 1Gb for customers.
SteveWTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 07:17 AM   #22
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'm slow today. So basically someone has figured out how to circumvent paying for a second data plan? If I understand this correctly then maybe in due time I'll sell my wifi model and grab a 3G model.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 07:19 AM   #23
illutionz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I'm slow today. So basically someone has figured out how to circumvent paying for a second data plan? If I understand this correctly then maybe in due time I'll sell my wifi model and grab a 3G model.
You are 100% correct....
Old May 2, 2010, 07:46 AM   #24
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a

I tried putting the iPad sim inside a 2G and 3G iPhone - neither worked had no way to change the APN to broadband - I was able to put it into a MiFi with no problems
Old May 2, 2010, 08:32 AM   #25
illutionz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpenguy View Post
I tried putting the iPad sim inside a 2G and 3G iPhone - neither worked had no way to change the APN to broadband - I was able to put it into a MiFi with no problems
iPhone is LOCKED device and the only way to enable the "APN Settings" to show on there is to jailbreak the phone + Unlock it... iPad is unlocked from factory...

CMIIW

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks