Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback

Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:57 PM   #1
harry
macrumors newbie

Getting my iTunes Library from my old PC to my new PowerBook

I've been a PC user all my life...until yesterday. I just bought my first Mac. Now I want to know if there is any way that I can move my iTunes library from my PC to my PowerBook without having to rip all of my cds again.

I moved the actual song files onto my iPod in hard drive mode and then copied them to my PowerBook, but now my PowerBook will not let me import those songs into iTunes.

Suggestions? Am I SOL?
harry is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2004, 01:10 PM   #2
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry
I've been a PC user all my life...until yesterday. I just bought my first Mac. Now I want to know if there is any way that I can move my iTunes library from my PC to my PowerBook without having to rip all of my cds again.

I moved the actual song files onto my iPod in hard drive mode and then copied them to my PowerBook, but now my PowerBook will not let me import those songs into iTunes.

Suggestions? Am I SOL?
You need to use the add to library option rather than import.
James Craner is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2004, 03:01 PM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:

Suggestions? Am I SOL?
Actually, you only need to copy your whole library to the iPod's hard drive portion, then drag the entire folder to the iTunes icon on your Mac. iTunes will automatically look for songs to copy and add them to your library as needed.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 03:01 PM   #4
harry
macrumors newbie

My ignorance is showing. Thanks, that was it.
harry is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2004, 03:03 PM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
My ignorance is showing. Thanks, that was it.
Whose? James Craner's suggestion or mine? You didn't quote the post you used...
Old Sep 28, 2004, 06:50 PM   #6
native00
macrumors regular

now how 'bout the other way gentlemen? How do I go from my Powerbook to my girlfriend's pc?
native00 is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2004, 07:01 PM   #7
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by native00
now how 'bout the other way gentlemen? How do I go from my Powerbook to my girlfriend's pc?
Doing that is just as simple. Copy your library (over the network, onto CDs/DVDs/an external HD, etc.) to your PC, open iTunes, then drag the copied library folder to the Library icon in iTunes. iTunes will process the dragged items, adding anything it finds to your library.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 07:25 PM   #8
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

If the pc has firewire you could use target mode and speed things up.
grapes911 is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2004, 07:09 PM   #9
marlenedegrood
macrumors newbie

If you copy by burning a dvd along with the itunes library data couldn't you just drop it into the itunes folder? Otherwise if you just transfer the music folders it seems you'd lose all your changed info.....comments, genre etc. I for one would really hate do redo the info on thousands of songs.

Marlene
marlenedegrood is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2004, 08:34 PM   #10
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenedegrood
If you copy by burning a dvd along with the itunes library data couldn't you just drop it into the itunes folder? Otherwise if you just transfer the music folders it seems you'd lose all your changed info.....comments, genre etc. I for one would really hate do redo the info on thousands of songs.

Marlene
That's true that you would lose any info that isn't stored inside the music file itself (i.e. in the ID3 tag of an MP3) - I prefer to have iTunes open and drag the info to iTunes so it finds it and imports it immediately. Using your method, I'd have to do the copy while iTunes is closed, then open iTunes and hope it sees the new music library.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:58 PM   #11
rowanhall
macrumors member

hey people, thanks for these tips.

just one question before i try this,

if i firstly consolodate my library back to the default place in the 'my music' folder and then copy my library folder from the pc to the mac. then drag the library folder to the itunes icon... will all the playlists and stuff stored in the xml file be updated??

thanks,
Rowan
rowanhall is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback