Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackwind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
I have been waitting for arrandale since early 2009 (when we first have the Arrandale 1), I have been a long reader and afew posts. We still have 2mbp and 1 mb in the family. So i use it when its free hehe

Come to my attention one of the thread saying No need to buy apple care if u use American Express and so on. So i went to CBA and ask them if they have anything like that. They said oh yeah, GOLD MASTERCARD if i buy macbook pro it will give me 3yrs extended warranty. I was like cool, i haven't heard of it but i think maybe oldnew.

So for people who looking to buy one and read this might help. I am getting mine when my gold card arrive

CHeers

andrew086

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
I've been meaning to figure out if Gold MasterCard gets an extended warranty - good to know, that means my 2008 MB still has AppleCare.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Not so fast.

Granted it should still work like a regular warranty.

But don't expect to walk into the Apple store waiving your mastercard around. You'll have to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed, and you may not have an easy time getting your machine replaced (by Apple) if it turns out to be a lemon (3+ major repairs).

Not saying its bad or anything but depending who you're dealing with disbursement can be quick and painless (American Express) or difficult.

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
Those credit card warranties are a pain the @ss..

Like blackwind said, they reimburse you for repairs, so if something major goes wrong, look forward to laying the money out first, filing a ton of paperwork and waiting to receive a check. I used the CC warranty on my plasma that died and that was the process.

If you have applecare.. they either fix it or give you a new one.. no hassle.

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Those credit card warranties are a pain the @ss..

Like blackwind said, they reimburse you for repairs, so if something major goes wrong, look forward to laying the money out first, filing a ton of paperwork and waiting to receive a check. I used the CC warranty on my plasma that died and that was the process.

If you have applecare.. they either fix it or give you a new one.. no hassle.

To back up what the posters above me said, Applecare gives the most convenience, for someone like me who lives 5 min away from an Apple store, it's the ULTIMATE convenience. No hassle arguing with people. If it breaks, they will try to get it fixed as cheaply as possible, and probably ask you to send the laptop to a credit card company where they will do who knows what to it. For most things, those extended warranties are great, but for an Apple computer, nothing matches Applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.