Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patp

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
http://switcheasy.com/products/ThumbTacks/ThumbTacks.php

saw these on the switcheasy site and thought this could be a really cool mic for recording. I've been playing guitar for 30 years, played in bands, recorded, toured etc. Now I'm married with family and do a lot of home recording.

I downloaded fourtrack and having a blast. The built in mic on the Ipad is okay at best.
this could be a great little recording rig that I can take anywhere when I need ti lay down a song idea quickly before I forget it.

any opinions on these thumbtack mics? appreciate any input on sound quality, and if compatible w/ the iPad headphone jack input.

Thanks

dbagchee

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
These mics were originally targeted at iPod touches that didn't have the built in mic. I haven't used one but I don't think they are going to be much better than the built in mic or the apple headset mic.

The main problem with the mic input is that there is no level control so it's easy to clip the input. I have the Blue Mikey that I use with Fourtrack on my iPhone which allows you to set a level, unfortunately it doesn't work with the iPad (yet).

Groundupaudio is working on a guitar interface that is supposed to solve a lot of the problems but it hasn't been released yet and it's not clear yet whether it will work with the iPad or not. Some audio interfaces seem to work with the iPad and the USB camera connection kit - that is the best solution I think but app developers still need to figure out what they can or can't do with it.

patp

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
These mics were originally targeted at iPod touches that didn't have the built in mic. I haven't used one but I don't think they are going to be much better than the built in mic or the apple headset mic.

The main problem with the mic input is that there is no level control so it's easy to clip the input. I have the Blue Mikey that I use with Fourtrack on my iPhone which allows you to set a level, unfortunately it doesn't work with the iPad (yet).

Groundupaudio is working on a guitar interface that is supposed to solve a lot of the problems but it hasn't been released yet and it's not clear yet whether it will work with the iPad or not. Some audio interfaces seem to work with the iPad and the USB camera connection kit - that is the best solution I think but app developers still need to figure out what they can or can't do with it.

i use a Line 6 amp for alot of my studio tones and would be great to incorporate that with my iPad. Line out from the Line 6 into the iPad would be great.

Thanks
Pat

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I can confirm that the Griffin imic works with the camera connection kit. I was able to run a Shure Beta 58 through a small mixer to control the input and record using a simple voice recorder.

dbagchee

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
i use a Line 6 amp for alot of my studio tones and would be great to incorporate that with my iPad. Line out from the Line 6 into the iPad would be great.

Thanks
Pat

I'm a big Line 6 user too. I'm waiting for them tonjust create a Pod Farm app. How sweet would that be? For now Ground Up Audio's Amp & Cabs app is pretty good.

patp

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hey thanks you guys. Any more info on how to record guitars with the iPad would really appreciated!

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I can confirm that the Griffin imic works with the camera connection kit. I was able to run a Shure Beta 58 through a small mixer to control the input and record using a simple voice recorder.

Ah man! If thats the case, I have a few devices I will test and report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.