Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 2, 2010, 07:10 AM   #1
alehel
macrumors member

All handbrake content is choppy

I'm having problems with doing my handbrake rips. Almost all my films look choppy. I suspect that handbrake is getting the fps of the video wrong. I'm using the builtin apple tv preset. Has anyone else had this problem?
alehel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Set the FPS to e.g. 30 and try again (with the original, not the rip as it has already been modified)
Old May 2, 2010, 07:14 AM   #3
spinnerlys

Open one or three of them in the QuickTime Player and then open the Movie Inspector via CMD+I to see their details.

Report back with the settings seen there and we might give you a solution.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
alehel
macrumors member

This is interesting. Quicktime isn't reporting on the fps at all. Could it be that it's unable to find the correct fps and is therefore reverting to the wrong fps as a result?

Another thing I noticed is that it's not showing the fact that it also has an AC3 passthrough file which I know it does. I chose it during the encode, and it's also available when viewing on the apple tv.

Also, I've watched several HD trailers on the Apple TV and none of them have an issue with choppiness.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2010, 08:15 AM   #5
alehel
macrumors member

Just found this on the HandBrake wiki.

Quote:
However, understand that DVDs and other MPEG-2 video streams use inherently variable framerates. This means that the actual framerate is not a steady number. This doesn't matter in most cases--for example, iPods handle it well. But if you find that playback is jerky, you might want to experiment by specifying a particular framerate instead of using "Same as source."
Guess I just need to experiment a bit.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:44 AM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Ac3 is shown as the second track in "Movie Properties" called Surround. Click on that track and at the bottom it will show all of the channel assignments.

As far as choppiness my guess is that for some reason your player (presumably quicktime) is dropping frames for some reason (could be it can not keep up, or some other reason). Tough to say as you really do not give much info as to what your using for playback.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 09:53 AM   #7
tommylotto
macrumors regular

I have been trying to encode an MKV for AppleTV of Gladiator made from the Blu-Ray for about a month. It was always stuttering, unwatchable. I thought it had something to do with bit rate. So, I made it smaller and smaller, but it still stuttered. Finally, I set the fps to 24 and it was smooth, I even maxed out the picture at 1720x720 Anamorphic and it looked great. Reading this thread, it might look even better if I "hard" select 23.98 instead.
tommylotto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 10:33 AM   #8
alehel
macrumors member

Woops, thought I mentioned that. I'm using an Apple TV, but seeing exactly the same problem on my Macbook Pro with C2D 2.5 GHz using both quicktime and VLC.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:40 AM   #9
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

tough to say without seeing a hb activity log, like we require on the hb forums.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 10:54 AM   #10
alehel
macrumors member

Well, I set the frame rate myself. Looks like it solved the problem. Thanks for all the tips and advice guys.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater