Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Katherine W.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
the Mini Apple ;)
I am sorry if this has been answered before. I cannot seem to find an answer to this exact question ANYWHERE!

I am having a heck of a time with my iPod Touch right now. Everything is irrelevant until I can actually get it to turn on, though. It had all of a sudden gone unresponsive on me but that is not the main issue. The battery went to dead through all of my trying to figure out how to fix it. It wasn't even being recognized in iTunes at all. Now, iTunes recognizes it, but the Touch gives a low battery icon for a few minutes and then shows the (USB w/ arrow to iTunes) recovery icon. At this time, I get the "restore your iPod in recovery mode" message in iTunes. When I start the restoration, it goes through the process, as if all is well. The very last bit, where it says something like, "preparing iPod for..." I am seeing the low battery icon on my iPod screen again and it takes way too long and, finally, I get the message that says, "cannot restore, etc."

Anyway, I just have the feeling that this all has to do with the battery needing to "get over the hump," so to speak, so it has enough juice to endure the rehab that I am trying to put it through. (Poor little guy :() I seem to be able to keep it in the recovery mode, while plugged in and without doing anything for a long time. It stays on that way but, I want to know if it is even charging in this mode, since I have no icon battery indicator to tell me.

Please, help and thank you!

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Good question so did a bit of research. My touch was a 50%, connected for around 15 minutes in recovery mode with iTunes logo and cable showing it went up to 69%, however in DFU mode blank screen it appears to drain the battery as it went back down to 57%.

Katherine W.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
the Mini Apple ;)
Thanks, Tadad! You seem to be absolutely right. I tried letting it sit in "logo" recovery mode for approx. 30 min. or so. It was just enough to get the battery showing green. I ran the restore & got a partial recovery (which I didn't even know could happen.) just before it shut down. I turned it on... hallelujah! It's the first time I have seen my home screen since Wednesday morning! So far, it seems to be working fine but, there may be a hardware problem, which may have started all the problems to begin with. (wifi greyed out, etc. but that may be for a new thread!)
Anyway, thanks for putting in the time to test it out!

YourFriendBen

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Saved me some time

Good question so did a bit of research. My touch was a 50%, connected for around 15 minutes in recovery mode with iTunes logo and cable showing it went up to 69%, however in DFU mode blank screen it appears to drain the battery as it went back down to 57%.

Thanks for taking the time to do this and type a response.

Unlike this similar question asked over at a different site, while it was good of the moderater to answer, he started his answer like this:

"
Uhhh... the obvious question is why on earth would you randomly leave your phone in DFU mode to begin with. ...
"
http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/693682-dfu-mode-charging.html

Right now my ipad 3 has a corrupted 5.1.1 firmware that I don't want to update to 6.0, as I will lose my future jailbreak on a 5.1.1 re-restore and cydia apps are not yet tuned to the new OS yet. My ipad doesn't have enough charge to boot, even if it had an uncorrupted system files. DFU mode is the first thing that pops into my head. But In my case, recovery mode for the ipad by sitting and charging is my only option to have a charged ipad at this moment. According to tadad's findings.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.