Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMasc814

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Howdy!

So a few weeks ago, I copied my entire music library (97.5gb) onto my external hard drive (Mac OS X Extended, Journaled) to save space on my boot drive. Since then, I've been able to update my iPod, receiving the message "Attempting to copy to the disk <iPod name> failed. The disk could not be read from or written to". I formatted my iPod to see if that was the problem, but it still won't copy. So, in order to right that situation, I tried to copy all my music back to my regular HD, but now am receiving the Finder Error code -36 "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data in (name of file) could not be read or written."

I can't format the external drive either because then I would lose all of my music. :/

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Hopefully you have all your music on your iPod. :)

As for the error code -36, often you can use Terminal to execute the command dot_clean on the offending folder, and it can fix the problem. Seems some filenames get a bit corrupted when accessed both by a Windows and OS X system.

BMasc814

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Hopefully you have all your music on your iPod. :)

As for the error code -36, often you can use Terminal to execute the command dot_clean on the offending folder, and it can fix the problem. Seems some filenames get a bit corrupted when accessed both by a Windows and OS X system.

Unfortunately I formatted my iPod because I originally thought that was the reason it wasn't syncing... and no Windows machines were involved at any time. The external HD is Mac OS X Extended format...

EDIT: I went through my library and found the files that were corrupted, deleted them, and all seems to be well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.