Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1
Mr Dobey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
USB Hub question for those with USB Blu-Ray Drive

I am using an external Blu-Ray Drive that uses two USB connection to get sufficient power. The problem is I've now tried 2 USB hubs (both plug into the wall) and neither of them can provide enough juice to power the drive. So I'm stuck using up both my USB ports on my MacBook Pro every time I want to use a Blu-Ray.

Anyone know of a hub that will meet my needs?

Thanks
Mr Dobey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Rhalliwell1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dobey View Post
I am using an external Blu-Ray Drive that uses two USB connection to get sufficient power. The problem is I've now tried 2 USB hubs (both plug into the wall) and neither of them can provide enough juice to power the drive. So I'm stuck using up both my USB ports on my MacBook Pro every time I want to use a Blu-Ray.

Anyone know of a hub that will meet my needs?

Thanks
provided you don't plug both into the hub this should work if your other peripherals are not needing a lot of power.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz/4GB/200GB/Nvidia 8600; 24" iMac 3.06Ghz/8GB/1TB/ATI 4850; 24" LED ACD; 16GB iPhone 4S White.
Rhalliwell1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Mr Dobey
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
The thing is I would much rather have all my USB devices connected to a 7 port USB hub so I can quickly unplug the hub when I want to bring my laptop somewhere.
Mr Dobey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I'm resurrecting this thread because I am now having the same issue with my 2011 iMac with a Samsung Bluray writer. I have a 7 port USB router, but the drive will not work with it. It reads slowly and then locks up programs such as dvdfab. I don't have a problem when I use the USB plugs direct however.

The USB hub does use an ac adapter, and all the other devices attached use an ac power plug as well, so I am not sure why I am having power issues.

I thought about plugging one of the two ends of the USB "y" cable into an ac charger (such as powers an iPhone) but the back of my mind says power might travel the wrong way and fry my iMac, so I have been afraid to try so far.

Oh, and the Samsung bluray drive does not have any port to hook up an ac adapter, it only has a mini USB port, and included a y cable with 2 full sized USB plugs on the other end.
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Just to update, I got the drive to work using an old 4 port USB hub (with ac power) I had laying around. I guess less ports allows more power to get to each one.
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdmoore View Post
Just to update, I got the drive to work using an old 4 port USB hub (with ac power) I had laying around. I guess less ports allows more power to get to each one.
I was going to suggest a D-link 8 port hub. I dislike anything that sucks juice from a port on any of my Macs....The only exception being the phone dock, because if plugged into an external hub, it refuses to see the backups in iTunes, and tells you to start afresh.

I run a Bamboo tablet, and external DVD burner (Not BR, but that's my next step) and my Roland board using the D-link...It has never failed to provide enough power...Out of curiosity, what make is the BR burner?
__________________
..That's All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I was going to suggest a D-link 8 port hub. I dislike anything that sucks juice from a port on any of my Macs....The only exception being the phone dock, because if plugged into an external hub, it refuses to see the backups in iTunes, and tells you to start afresh.

I run a Bamboo tablet, and external DVD burner (Not BR, but that's my next step) and my Roland board using the D-link...It has never failed to provide enough power...Out of curiosity, what make is the BR burner?
Samsung SE-506ab/tsbd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...QNKQGHPYZQGD6A
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB 3.0 Blu-ray Drive for a rMBP. ReddestDream Mac Peripherals 14 Jul 21, 2014 12:53 PM
Recommend a USB Blu-ray drive for Mac mini? AVR2 Mac Peripherals 7 Jan 1, 2014 07:18 AM
NewerTech Releases miniStack MAX Hard Drive/Blu-Ray Burner/SD Card Reader/USB Hub MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 88 Dec 23, 2013 03:57 PM
Does anyone have a USB Blu Ray drive? onirocdarb iMac 14 Jul 26, 2013 06:58 PM
USB 3.0 Blu-ray Drive for a rMBP. ReddestDream MacBook Pro 4 Jul 4, 2012 02:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC