Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old May 2, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1
opticalserenity
macrumors 6502a

Arrow Can Anyone recommend portable speakers?

I'm looking at the xMini speakers, they look good. Any other recommendations? They can be wired or stereo Bluetooth, either way. I just want something portable and louder than the ipad speakers.

I also don't want to spend more than $30 or so
opticalserenity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 10:29 PM   #2
sonofpismo
macrumors regular

Motorola EQ5

I am using the Motorola EQ5 stereo bluetooth speakers. They have a fold out stand, and pair nicely with both my iPhone 3GS and iPad. All the buttons work except next/previous track (Apple's fault, not anyone else's). For their small size, they sound great. They are powered by a built-in rechargeable battery or and included AC adapter. They also function as a speakerphone. They are roughly the size on an iPhone 3GS. A line-in port is handy when not wanting to use bluetooth.

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/EQ5/

Last edited by sonofpismo; May 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
sonofpismo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 10:51 PM   #3
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

No they are all pretty much ****** in quality, however ^ that will probably be the best choice.
Old May 5, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Kosinar
macrumors newbie

Motorola wireless speakers

Have any of you manage to pair these with IPAD? My 64G Ipad will not pair with them. They work fine with Iphone 3GS
Kosinar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 11:16 PM   #5
sonofpismo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosinar View Post
Have any of you manage to pair these with IPAD? My 64G Ipad will not pair with them. They work fine with Iphone 3GS
I have no problem at all. Read the user manual to force pairing mode if you have to. They can be paired to two devices actually.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...S_9519A01A.pdf
Old May 9, 2010, 11:50 PM   #6
3goldens
macrumors 68000

Soundmatters foxLv2 Bluetooth Pocket-sized Audiophile Loudspeaker System w/Bluetooth

no they are not all alike and the ones mentioned above do not even come close to the FOx wireless bluetooth I have spoke about before.

Hands down the very best portable speaker system in the world!

The others will sound like an AM radio compared to its audio componants and sound. Yhey are not cheap but worth ever single cent!

See this link:

Please note, I donate any and all proceeds from this store to Environmental groups fighting to protect our waterways!

http://astore.amazon.com/wwwhovingus-20/detail/B00313JD06

Last edited by 3goldens; Oct 27, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
3goldens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 08:21 AM   #7
sonofpismo
macrumors regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
no they are not all alike and the ones mentioned above do not even come close to the FOx wireless bluetooth I have spoke about before.

The others will sound like an AM radio compared to its audio componants and sound. Yhey are not cheap but worth ever single cent!

See this link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00313JD06...W3PSZ9WYDR5WX&
Great recommendation... but they are pricey! I'll add them to my "Wish List"
Old May 10, 2010, 09:45 AM   #8
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

See this link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00313JD06...W3PSZ9WYDR5WX&
Thanks for the link!

I dug a little into this as I thought these were WAY overpriced. What I found was that the CEO of this company, Godehard Guenther, used to own a/d/s. I was a huge fan of this guy a very long time ago. He was a huge innovator with suspension speakers, and back then that's all we ever bought for a while.

But the point is that they also made the very best small speakers you could get. Braun also was making similar design but not as good as the a/d/s speakers.

So who knows, I may end up buying one of these. But they are just so outrageously expensive, and I'm skeptical of bluetooth audio (but you don't have to use that)

Mind you, this stuff is very high end, so you pay. It's painful, and there's certainly diminishing returns.

FLWs

Last edited by mac jones; May 10, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9
emptyCup
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalserenity View Post
I just want something portable and louder than the ipad speakers. I also don't want to spend more than $30 or so
I have the iHome speaker, which I like. Undoubtedly you can get better for a lot more but this is small, easy to carry and holds a charge as long as the iPad. Also comes in a dual speaker stereo model.
emptyCup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 09:52 AM   #10
3goldens
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac jones View Post
Thanks for the link!

I dug a little into this as I thought these were WAY overpriced. What I found was that the CEO of this company, Godehard Guenther, used to own a/d/s. I was a huge fan of this guy a very long time ago. He was a huge innovator with suspension speakers, and back then that's all we ever bought for a while.

But the point is that they also made the very best small speakers you could get. Braun also was making similar design but not as good as the a/d/s speakers.

So who knows, I may end up buying one of these. But they are just so outrageously expensive, and I'm skeptical of bluetooth audio (but you don't have to use that)

Mind you, this stuff is very high end, so you pay. It's painful, and there's certainly diminishing returns.

FLWs
Bluetooth works really well, unlike all the other speakers I have demoed or owned these are by far miles ahead of all of them.
3goldens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 05:34 PM   #11
MacVDS
macrumors regular

I just received the Altec Lansing bluetooth speakers and so far they work just great for watching movies and music. They are more than $30, but for $55 they sound great. The housing is just slightly wider than the iPad and slightly narrower. Bluetooth synced up nice. Downside, no remote, and the volume has to be adjusted from the buttons. It works for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
MacVDS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 12:06 AM   #12
opticalserenity
macrumors 6502a

Well, I ended up ordering the X-Mini Max II's from Amazon and they definitely do not sound as good as my Unibody MBP speakers. Yes, they sound better than the iPad, but still disappointing compared to my MBP. But compared to iPad, they're not bad at all.
opticalserenity is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories