Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZooGue

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Hello everyone, I need to know what the legal guidlines are for using the word iPad on the packaging of my product.

Can I use the word iPad if I put A tm next to it?

Thanks Everyone
Tim Angel

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Dear Tim Angel,
Seek legal advice from a qualified attorney.

Regards,
Jessica

PS: if you really want your business to take off you'll run it a little smarter.

peetah

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Dear Tim Angel,

Regards,
Jessica

PS: if you really want your business to take off you'll run it a little smarter.

Read Jessica's advice several more times. Arm chair attorneys (and fill in the blank forms) are incredibly bad alternatives to a real attorney.

ZooGue

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Tim Angel's Reply

Dear Tim Angel,

Regards,
Jessica

It is Sunday in california and I can not get a hold of my attorney today.

And I need to know this ASAP.

but anyways thanks for the suggestion

patp

Apr 10, 2008
i would normally refrain from commenting on threads like these, but i to agree that it is not ideal for any business to admit any lack of information about the products they make, in public - especially on a busy forum aimed at your target demographic.

something like this should have been handled under the radar.

timmciglobal

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
You want to use the name of a product without permission from it's owner to sell a product?

This isn't legal advise but if the above sounds like a bad idea it probably is.

Tim

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's actually Sunday evening in CA and if i know a CA lawyer they'd be more than happy to answer your question. Either you have him/her on retainer or you're FOS. If i were running a new business that involved potential trademark infringement you bet your ass I'd be asking my lawyer ... Sunday or not. Call your lawyer, I'm sure they'd be happy to bill you for the call.

ZooGue

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Tim Angel's Reply

i would normally refrain from commenting on threads like these, but i to agree that it is not ideal for any business to admit any lack of information about the products they make, in public - especially on a busy forum aimed at your target demographic.

something like this should have been handled under the radar.

You want to use the name of a product without permission from it's owner to sell a product?

This isn't legal advise but if the above sounds like a bad idea it probably is.

Tim

It's actually Sunday evening in CA and if i know a CA lawyer they'd be more than happy to answer your question. Either you have him/her on retainer or you're FOS. If i were running a new business that involved potential trademark infringement you bet your ass I'd be asking my lawyer ... Sunday or not. Call your lawyer, I'm sure they'd be happy to bill you for the call.

Hello Everyone,

Please calm down, I know, I am having my partner talk to our Trademark attorney monday morning. But I am working on the packaging design right now. I figured that someone here may know about this, so that I could get a head start on the design.

I guess that is not the case.

Thanks anyways,

Tim Angel
ZooGue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.