Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 3, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1
zea mays
macrumors regular

Netflix app freezing iPad?

I got my 32GB 3G iPad on Friday. Used all day Saturday with no problems. Yesterday, I was watching a TV show on Netflix over WiFi and it froze. It had a line of blue pixels down the side that blinked slowly, but would not unlock. So, I reset the iPad and everything was fine. About 2-3 hours later, I was watching TV on Netflix again and this time the whole screen went blue and locked. Reset the iPad again and it's been fucntioning fine since. Anyone else have this problem? I'll likely take it back for an exchange, but I'm just curious if it's happened to anyone else.
zea mays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 03:02 PM   #2
dissdnt
macrumors 65816

App kinda sucks. They really need to work on a more native app then some webpage crap.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:47 PM   #3
iSingandiDance
Banned

It freezes but never to a point where I have to reset it.

Does this occur when using any other video streaming app?
iSingandiDance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 03:48 PM   #4
r0k
macrumors 68040

I have watched two full length Netflix films on my 16 gig wifi iPad with no problem whatsoever. I guess it's one of those YMMV situations...
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 05:00 PM   #5
jarvijarv
macrumors regular

It's happened to me a couple of times now watching movies on Netflix. The picture just freezes, no multi-touch interaction. I had to keep reseting every time. I have no problem watching videos on YouTube.
So is this a problem with the iPad or Netflix app or WiFi connection?
I have become very attached (customized) to my iPad 3G (16GB) and I don't want to replace it if there is nothing wrong with it and if an update on the Netflix app will fix it.
jarvijarv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
zea mays
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSingandiDance View Post
It freezes but never to a point where I have to reset it.

Does this occur when using any other video streaming app?
Not that I've seen, but I haven't done much video streaming other than netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvijarv View Post
It's happened to me a couple of times now watching movies on Netflix. The picture just freezes, no multi-touch interaction. I had to keep reseting every time. I have no problem watching videos on YouTube.
So is this a problem with the iPad or Netflix app or WiFi connection?
I have become very attached (customized) to my iPad 3G (16GB) and I don't want to replace it if there is nothing wrong with it and if an update on the Netflix app will fix it.
Yeah, I'm not sure either. I'll have to keep playing with not to be able to see but I'm a little concerned. I hoe that it sorts itself out soon so that I can do an easy return if I need to.
zea mays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 03:24 PM   #7
dstafford
macrumors newbie

I had a non 3G for 3 weeks of solid use between Videos, Netflix and ABC Player - never a freeze. I 'upgraded' to the 3G model and am having the exact same lockup issues reported here requiring a soft reset using both Netflix and the ABC Player.

I visited the Genius Bar today and nothing appeared in the diagnostics. - They restored factory firmware and with only Netflix reinstalled, I repro'd the problem in 3 minutes (after getting home).

Next step is another trip to the store in hopes I can repro it there live in person. (I may leave it locked up and drive there with it frozen)
dstafford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
steel magnolia
macrumors regular

The app is still buggy, try watching ABC, and see how that works for you. If ABC doesn't do the exact same issue then I would think it is the app and not the iPad with the problem. Any video would work but suggested ABC because it's a free app with video streaming. You Tube seems to work great sometimes and horrible at other times so I wouldn't recommend trying that video source.

Patty
steel magnolia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 03:36 PM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Yesterday was the first time I had issues. I had to uninstall and reinstall the app to get it to work again.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 03:36 PM   #10
mugatu
macrumors newbie

Bad news but I think you'll need to take the iPad back for an exchange. Had the issue of freezing video on my wifi 16gb iPad when using ABC player, streaming youtube and apple trailers. There is a really big thread on this over at Apple Support.

I made a reservation with a Genius who tried a factory reset but the issue occurred straight away again after this. He was happy to swap it for a new one. He also said that Apple are becoming aware of the issue and he had to fill in some documents and send the faulty iPad back to apple to they can diagnose this issue further. Seems like quite a few people are having this issue and it looks like it's hardware not software based.

My new iPad has been perfect so far (touch wood).
mugatu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 03:48 PM   #11
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

I have yet to experience a freeze on my iPad (:

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad