Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:33 AM   #1
schwa73
macrumors newbie

Best software to track CD collections?

I'm looking for a piece of OSX software that will allow me to track and organize a rather large collection of audio CDs. I used FileMaker Pro in System 9, but would like to upgrade to something geared specifically to CDs in OSX.

My only requirement, then, is the ability to import collections. Automatic downloading of track names would be nice, as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh
schwa73 is offline   0
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:57 AM   #2
kirk26
macrumors 6502a

Well call me silly, but "iTunes"?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:05 PM   #3
schwa73
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk26
Well call me silly, but "iTunes"?

But how would this work in iTunes? I am not interested in digitally ripping my audio CDs. I'm looking for a database program that will store artist/title/year/songs/times/country/etc. for a 3000+ CD collection.

Is this possible in iTunes? Perhaps I'm missing something...

Josh
schwa73 is offline   0
Old Sep 29, 2004, 06:15 PM   #4
paxtonandrew
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to paxtonandrew
Filemaker for OsX is much more robust than the classic versions. It is much more stable, and dare I say it, almost similar to the windblows Access (cringe). This Program Seems Will Do What You Want to Do. Just give this one a go, I don't have any experience with it.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:25 PM   #5
iBert
macrumors regular

Funny someone asked aout this. I have been working on a similar program that is web-based. Then I tought about doing as a stand-alone program. Had Mac OSX only support, but I like the idea of cross-platform.

If anyone should be interested in doing a similar application, pm me. I have a couple of ideas and with some more ideas. Heck maybe something cool can come out.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 01:22 AM   #6
runplaysleeprun
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to runplaysleeprun
delicious library

i saw this a few weeks back.
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/deliciouslibrary.html

its not out yet, but when it does come out, it looks like it could handle your job and then some in a really attractive and functional manner. i especially like the whole ability to use an isight or any firewire camera as a barcode scanner to scan the barcodes right into the program, then have all the info downloaded, and the cd go on your shelf. should save loads of time for entering info.
runplaysleeprun is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2004, 04:21 AM   #7
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa73
But how would this work in iTunes? I am not interested in digitally ripping my audio CDs. I'm looking for a database program that will store artist/title/year/songs/times/country/etc. for a 3000+ CD collection.

Is this possible in iTunes? Perhaps I'm missing something...

Josh
Yes, but doesn't iTunes do this? All you do is go to Prefs and let iTunes organize your folders and songs and such. I only used it when I first got my Mac some time ago, but I still remember that iTunes was able to look up song info for me. I just didn't like how it labelled things....
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:29 AM   #8
schwa73
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
Filemaker for OsX is much more robust than the classic versions. It is much more stable, and dare I say it, almost similar to the windblows Access (cringe). This Program Seems Will Do What You Want to Do. Just give this one a go, I don't have any experience with it.

I'll have to check this out when I get home. (Lousy work PC!) Anyone use this?
schwa73 is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2004, 08:30 AM   #9
schwa73
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by runplaysleeprun
i saw this a few weeks back.

its not out yet, but when it does come out, it looks like it could handle your job and then some in a really attractive and functional manner. i especially like the whole ability to use an isight or any firewire camera as a barcode scanner to scan the barcodes right into the program, then have all the info downloaded, and the cd go on your shelf. should save loads of time for entering info.
Yes! This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. A few other variants are listed on VersionTracker, but I was hoping somebody had personal experience or a preference for one over the other.

Perhaps I'll just try them all and see for myself!
schwa73 is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2004, 06:39 PM   #10
Jaunty
macrumors regular

Hello all this is my first post. Quick thanks first of all to Macrumors site/members for helping me not buy Mac products just before they were about to be replaced!

I'd recommend you have a look at

http://www.bruji.com/index.html

I use their DVD tracking software but they do one for books and cds (or a bundle for all 3 as well now). It is very iTunesy interface wise and easy to use.
Jaunty is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2004, 11:48 AM   #11
schwa73
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaunty
I'd recommend you have a look at

http://www.bruji.com/index.html

I use their DVD tracking software but they do one for books and cds (or a bundle for all 3 as well now). It is very iTunesy interface wise and easy to use.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check this out, although I'll most likely stick with Filemaker. I'm having lots of problems importing my old data into these other programs.

And I'm not going to re-enter all those CDs!

Josh
schwa73 is offline   0
Old Oct 14, 2004, 01:07 PM   #12
MacAztec
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to MacAztec
I found it!

This program does what you need, and much more, but it isn't yet released (should be soon).

Delicious Library 3.0

Here is the link:

http://delicious-monster.com/

There was a review of it on Think-Secret, here is the link (includes pics of the program in action).

MacAztec is offline   0
Old Nov 9, 2004, 01:01 PM   #13
Ze3b
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up MyMusic is the one to compare

I think the key here is that you have said a Large collection of CD's. That infers that you want to find them once they are cataloged. I haven't seen a piece of software yet, (including Delicious Library) that can compete with Computer Dynamics MyMusic Personal Librarian. MyMusic is written for OSX and allows you to import a delimited file which you can export from FileMaker. Once done, you can look up data from Amazon or CDDB. you can also import your iTunes data including playlists.

The find functionality in MyMusic is fantastic. You can find a record which contains a credit such as Bass Player contains x or any field.

Rumor has it they are working on a new embedded SQL backend that allows you to backup and restore from an iDisk or other location and has more custom options.

You can find them at http://www.computer-dynamics.com/MyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa73
I'm looking for a piece of OSX software that will allow me to track and organize a rather large collection of audio CDs. I used FileMaker Pro in System 9, but would like to upgrade to something geared specifically to CDs in OSX.

My only requirement, then, is the ability to import collections. Automatic downloading of track names would be nice, as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh
Ze3b is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews