Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Closed Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Kibbe17
macrumors member

Buying a stolen ipad??

If i were to buy a stolen ipad 3g would I have any trouble registering it with apple and also registering for the ATT 3G Service? Here is the link:
http://newyork.ebayclassifieds.com/c...ew/?ad=3171937

And this just seems farrr too good to be true.. in Brooklyn of all places. Which is what is leading me to believe they are stolen.

Maybe they're not who knows.. but would I have any trouble if they are??
Kibbe17 is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2
kloan
macrumors regular

Wow.

Likely more a scam than stolen.
kloan is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3
troop231
macrumors 601

Sounds like Mr. Chen is hard at work in NY these days
troop231 is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Why would you want to buy something that you think is stolen?

Someone is trying to sell it for a little over half-price. It retails for $699. Sorry, this stinks like 3-week old fish, and you should stay away from it.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:06 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I say they're stolen but not because they're in brooklyn (nice way to stereotype there pal) but because they're $400.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:07 PM   #6
VintageSlots
macrumors member

Is there a finger attached to it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...snatching.html
VintageSlots is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 10:07 PM   #7
wombat888
macrumors 6502a

The only possibilities are scam/bait and switch, or that they fell off the back of a truck.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Apple all life
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Apple all life
I think it is a scam for them to get $400 out of you.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Richdmoore
macrumors 6502a

Or you could get mugged while waiting to pay for the iPad, it happens from time to time.

The seller has a partner, gets the victim to wait somewhere for the meeting to buy the item, and then his accomplice comes along and robs the buyer. Of course, then the seller comes along and acts innocent.....

Don't buy stolen goods, look up the thread where someone purchased an iPad that he discovered had a "Demo" mark from the apple store on it....
Richdmoore is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Have we not learned anything from the Gizmodo iPhone debacle or is this a joke?

Look either these are empty boxes full of rocks being sold or they fell off the truck.

Best case it's a box of rocks and we can all have a laugh when you come back here griping how you were ripped off. (Hopefully, you won't open the box while making the purchase or you could be buying a stay at the hospital of your choice too, so no funny stuff. K.)

Worst case they fell off a truck, in which case, Apple knows the serial numbers and can easily track you down via iTunes and Mobile Me. And if you don't think they won't send in the cops, just give Jason Chen a ring and get his opinion first.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Kibbe17
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I say they're stolen but not because they're in brooklyn (nice way to stereotype there pal) but because they're $400.
Sorry, I knew someone would call me on this, but I know a few people in or from Brooklyn, (friends) and I have seen myself, some things like this around parts like that, if you get what I'm saying.

Again, Sorry if I offended anyone though.
Kibbe17 is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Kibbe17
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post

Look either these are empty boxes full of rocks being sold or they fell off the truck.

Best case it's a box of rocks and we can all have a laugh when you come back here griping how you were ripped off. (Hopefully, you won't open the box while making the purchase or you could be buying a stay at the hospital of your choice too, so no funny stuff. K.)

Worst case they fell off a truck, in which case, Apple knows the serial numbers and can easily track you down via iTunes and Mobile Me. And if you don't think they won't send in the cops, just give Jason Chen a ring and get his opinion first.
Chupa Chupa, I read alot of comments you leave people and typically think they are edgy and funny, BUT, this is exactly the question I am asking, if they could track me down via iTunes or Mobile Me, I never said I "didnt think they wont send cops" and I would obviously not buy a $400 box of rocks and "come back here griping how I was ripped off" I was already planning on legitimately buying one in a store and just strolled accross this add. No need to tweak out...
Kibbe17 is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 11:18 PM   #13
traylorc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbe17 View Post
Chupa Chupa, I read alot of comments you leave people and typically think they are edgy and funny, BUT, this is exactly the question I am asking, if they could track me down via iTunes or Mobile Me, I never said I "didnt think they wont send cops" and I would obviously not buy a $400 box of rocks and "come back here griping how I was ripped off" I was already planning on legitimately buying one in a store and just strolled accross this add. No need to tweak out...
Funny...I read Chupa's post and didn't get the impression he was tweaking out. I thought he was giving you and honest response to your question.

Bottom line....this sounds like bad news to me. If you were planning on purchasing an ipad legitimately then I would continue on that route. If you buy an ipad you don't want to spend time worrying if the cops will break down your door and confiscate your purchase.
traylorc is offline   0
Old May 3, 2010, 11:36 PM   #14
Imani97
macrumors newbie

Shame

Quote:
Sorry, I knew someone would call me on this, but I know a few people in or from Brooklyn, (friends) and I have seen myself, some things like this around parts like that, if you get what I'm saying.

I wasn't going to say anything, but seriously, if you're considering buying a "stolen" iPad, you're hardly in a position to judge anyone.
Imani97 is offline   0
Old May 4, 2010, 12:10 AM   #15
IrishTiger
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imani97 View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but seriously, if you're considering buying a "stolen" iPad, you're hardly in a position to judge anyone.
He didn't say it was stolen. He said IF it was stolen. He doesn't know. It could be some rich old coot that could care less (I doubt it but whatever). However if it did turn out to be stolen then he is asking legit questions. I don't think many people that have common sense have the desire to purchase stolen goods.
Old May 4, 2010, 03:41 AM   #16
Swampthing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If i were to buy a stolen ipad 3g would I have any trouble registering it with apple and also registering for the ATT 3G Service? ...Maybe they're not who knows.. but would I have any trouble if they are??
Do you work for GIZMODO or something? :P
Swampthing is offline   0
Old May 4, 2010, 04:07 AM   #17
thecheda
macrumors 6502

SKin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSlots View Post
Wow. No class. Hope the guy is okay.
Old May 4, 2010, 09:33 AM   #18
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
If i were to buy a stolen ipad 3g would I have any trouble registering it with apple and also registering for the ATT 3G Service? ...

Maybe they're not who knows.. but would I have any trouble if they are??
I will pretend that you are not 15 kinds of stupid. The iPad phones home to perform most administrative tasks. If you purchase and use a stolen iPad, then you are effectively phoning the police to admit your crime while running up a flag to show them where to pick you up.
MisterMe is online now   0
Old May 4, 2010, 09:37 AM   #19
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

You didn't offend me you just seem to lump Brooklyn into this stereotype that is unnecessary. It's unnecessary to your entire story.

You want an iPad, you want a deep discount, stolen or not I seriously doubt you care. You just want to see if you could get into some kind of trouble for it. In short, you could get caught. Worse off, you could get hurt by the person asking for $400 for a $700 device.
Old May 4, 2010, 09:41 AM   #20
patp

Had a friend buy a VCR from a guy in a parking lot. Got home opened up the box and it was a nice large red brick. The kind you make buildings with.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
patp is offline   0
Old May 4, 2010, 09:56 AM   #21
RQPS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post

I tried to call Jason Chen his number was out of service? Must have lost his phone.
RQPS is offline   0
Old May 4, 2010, 09:56 AM   #22
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Had a friend buy a VCR from a guy in a parking lot. Got home opened up the box and it was a nice large red brick. The kind you make buildings with.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
Hey, at least the brick isn't obsolete!
locust76 is offline   0
Old May 4, 2010, 10:13 AM   #23
mysticbluebmw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You didn't offend me you just seem to lump Brooklyn into this stereotype that is unnecessary. It's unnecessary to your entire story.
Lol, I guess stereotypes are ok if you just don't lump (lump?, Really?) Brooklyn into it.

Actually, this is one stereotype (while ALL stereotypes are wrong to apply) that has some basis in universal belief. Probably for good reason.
mysticbluebmw is offline   0
Old May 4, 2010, 10:20 AM   #24
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Since you have a feeling that the price is too good to be now, you run afoul of the criminal statute for receiving stolen property.

As long as a reasonable person would consider the merchandise more likely than to be stolen ... painful lesson.

Usually, if karma catches up to you they take the booty away and have you flip the seller.

---

However if they can give you a nice sob story about it being a gift and they need the money now to take care of a sick gerbil, you should be fine.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:23 AM   #25
iRobertM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSlots View Post
Your attempt at humor is not funny and is rude. Have some respect.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad