Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
:D

Just five minutes alone with an attractive female raise the levels of cortisol, the body's stress hormone, according to a study from the University of Valencia.
The effects are heightened in men who believe that the woman in question is "out of their league".
Cortisol is produced by the body under physical or psychological stress and has been linked to heart disease.
Researchers tested 84 male students by asking each one to sit in a room and solve a Sudoku puzzle. Two strangers, one male and one female, were also in the room.
When the female stranger left the room and the two men remained sitting together, the volunteer's stress levels did not rise. However, when the volunteer was left alone with the female stranger, his cortisol levels rose.
The researchers concluded: "In this study we considered that for most men the presence of an attractive woman may induce the perception that there is an opportunity for courtship.
"While some men might avoid attractive women since they think they are 'out of their league', the majority would respond with apprehension and a concurrent hormonal response.
"This study showed that male cortisol levels increased after exposure to a five-minute short social contact with a young, attractive woman."
Cortisol can have a positive effect in small doses, improving alertness and well-being. However, chronically elevated cortisol levels can worsen medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension and impotency.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-for-your-health-according-to-scientists.html

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
This must be true. A customer at work was so hot that I completely forgot what I was supposed to fix and ran in circles for 30 seconds before I could remember.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
In addition to this I find myself more annoyed at people who are arrogant and self entitled. I don't find beautiful women who are humble stressful, but if they're hot and act like they know you know it there are few things less attractive. High maintenance is more stressful whether it's a computer or a woman or a boat or any damn other thing.

peetah

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
It just proves that Einstein theory is right!

"Place your hand on a hot stove and it will seem to last an hour. Sit next to a beautiful lady for an hour, and it will seem to last only a minute. That is relativity!"

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Maybe they were just stressed out with the Sudoku puzzle, and by the time the other male participant left they were getting upset every time....

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Their theory is all wrong... their theory should be:

Hot Ladies > Sudoku

Indeed. They should have put something of equivalent importance in the (stereotypical) male mind in the room, such as a video game console, a bunch of cool tools and a car to work on, a huge television playing sports, or a large quantity of beer.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Indeed. They should have put something of equivalent importance in the (stereotypical) male mind in the room, such as a video game console, a bunch of cool tools and a car to work on, a huge television playing sports, or a large quantity of beer.

That sounds significantly more scientific to me!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm a dead man walking!

I'm also thrilled that I have a beautiful wife!!!

The sudoku challenge would not present a problem for me.
Heck, I have a difficult time solving the ones in the Sunday paper.
Hmmm. My wife is usually in the room.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
I'm a dead man walking!

without a picture, your post is hard to believe :D

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

You could add a tank and a stealth fighter and the guy's mind will still wander back to the beautiful girl (at least after the initial wow factor wears off).

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I'm a dead man walking!

Newly wed?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
The novelty of a good looking gf wears off pretty quickly. After a couple of months you've seen her without makeup, smelled her poop, seen her pick her nose, spit on you when laughing etc

And the cortisol levels drop back down again. I don't think there's any reason then to avoid beautiful women in long term relationships, like the study says, cortisol levels are good for you in short doses. It's conclusion is poor :confused:

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
The novelty of a good looking gf wears off pretty quickly. After a couple of months you've seen her without makeup, smelled her poop, seen her pick her nose, spit on you when laughing etc

And the cortisol levels drop back down again. I don't think there's any reason then to avoid beautiful women in long term relationships, like the study says, cortisol levels are good for you in short doses. It's conclusion is poor :confused:

Ha! Beautiful women don't poop... silly. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.