Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 29, 2004, 01:19 PM   #1
mcarnes
macrumors 68000

Is an IP address part of the computer?

Is an IP address part of the computer or part of the internet provider? That is, if I change internet providers my IP address changes, right?

Got in a discussion about this in class and someone said it was a permanent ID on the computer...
mcarnes is offline   0
Old Sep 29, 2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

The MAC address is part of the equipment/hardware, and is the permanent ID burned into your computer.

You'll see it printed on a sticker on your machine somewhere, which is why some networks keep a list of banned MAC addresses of the network abusers.

The IP address is part of the network, and can change depending on how the network is set up.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 02:26 PM   #3
stealthy
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to stealthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarnes
Is an IP address part of the computer or part of the internet provider? That is, if I change internet providers my IP address changes, right?

Got in a discussion about this in class and someone said it was a permanent ID on the computer...
You go back and correct them!

IP address is not part of the computer, it is simply borrowed (if you will) from the network infrastructure to utilize the network.

</bush>
stealthy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers