Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
whats wrong and how much is it going to cost me?

Thanks to HMVs sale, i bought a load of albums i was meaning to buy for ages dirt cheap. Plopped them in me iMac... Some time later i had all my lovely files to transfer to the iPod.

Tried transfering them this morning before work... and it was sloooow. Took about a minute for 3 files! So i cancelled and went to work. iPod was fine.

Got home and hook up iPod... Kernal Panic and frozen iPod.
Reboot.. connect iPod iTunes opens and starts trasfering about 4 files later /2 minutes later ipod freezes and so does iTunes. I also noticed this time a ticking noise from the iPod.

Used the Apple iPod software reset, the whole time it was loading the software i could hear this ticking! then when it finished i got the weirdest thing i've seen on an iPod (see attached image)

This was all the iPod would bring up, so i went into disk utility and gave it a quick format, software restored, got into itunes, set up iPod, trasnfered 6 songs and click click click.... frozen iPod and iTunes.. Now all i have is an iPod with the Apple logo stuck on it. Not amount of resetting or pluggin it in will rid me of it. I can also hear it wirring away to itself.

I doubt anyone can tell me whats wrong so i'll just say... How much is it likely to cost me? does anyone know if Apple can fix it or if it'll be a replacement job..... why didn't i get apple care.
:mad: :(

Attachments

• IMGP1081.JPG
    IMGP1081.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 425

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
sounds like the hard drive went
you'd probably be best off buying a new one and selling your old one for parts on ebay, the repair from apple i'm sure will run several hundred

PeterBonnar said:
whats wrong and how much is it going to cost me?

Thanks to HMVs sale, i bought a load of albums i was meaning to buy for ages dirt cheap. Plopped them in me iMac... Some time later i had all my lovely files to transfer to the iPod.

Tried transfering them this morning before work... and it was sloooow. Took about a minute for 3 files! So i cancelled and went to work. iPod was fine.

Got home and hook up iPod... Kernal Panic and frozen iPod.
Reboot.. connect iPod iTunes opens and starts trasfering about 4 files later /2 minutes later ipod freezes and so does iTunes. I also noticed this time a ticking noise from the iPod.

Used the Apple iPod software reset, the whole time it was loading the software i could hear this ticking! then when it finished i got the weirdest thing i've seen on an iPod (see attached image)

This was all the iPod would bring up, so i went into disk utility and gave it a quick format, software restored, got into itunes, set up iPod, trasnfered 6 songs and click click click.... frozen iPod and iTunes.. Now all i have is an iPod with the Apple logo stuck on it. Not amount of resetting or pluggin it in will rid me of it. I can also hear it wirring away to itself.

I doubt anyone can tell me whats wrong so i'll just say... How much is it likely to cost me? does anyone know if Apple can fix it or if it'll be a replacement job..... why didn't i get apple care.
:mad: :(

warcraftmaster

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2003
here
i had the same problem. i know whats wrong. first i know you droped your ipod big time :rolleyes: its ok i did it to :eek: welll your picture shows that you have to hook you ipod to your wall power thing,for a re-format. after that this it the hard part see how much music you can put on it before your computer mess up and all of itunes. well thats how much music you will have to live wit because the head of your hard dive hit the pladder* my ipod was left wit 5.7gb form 14.2 so i guss i got a way with a steal but i have 20gb of music now so i just got a new iPod 4g :D am happy now

p.s give you 20$ for your broken iPod

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
when did you buy your ipod? i've had good experience just walking into an apple store, pointing at my ipod and grunting "broken". they may throw you a bone and perform some magical ipod-mending rain dance that only level 7 top secret apple employees know...

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
England
Firstly it was never dropped! i had been using it at my desk and it had been fine all week till yesterday and it hadn't left the dock the whole time. I'm starting to wonder if my desk is cursed.. an external drive went around htis time last month.

Secondly i bought it one year and one month ago... just outta warrenty, The great thing about living in england is there is no Apple store. Looking on apples wesbite they tell me their will be a charge for reapir but they won't tell me how much!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why don't you phone them? Best they will do is tell you how much it costs to fix your HD problem. Worst thing is that you ship it to them, tell you how much it costs, you refuse to pay that much, and they end up keeping your busted iPod, or sending it back to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.