Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 4, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Continues to Make Progress on Chinese Wi-Fi-Capable iPhone

IDG News Service reports that Chinese regulators have approved the required frequency ranges for a new iPhone offering the Chinese version of Wi-Fi, a feature the device has lacked since its launch there last October.
Quote:
Chinese regulators last month approved the frequency ranges used by a new Apple mobile phone with 3G and wireless LAN support, the Web site of China's State Radio Monitoring Center shows. The device appears to be an iPhone and uses GSM and the 3G standard WCDMA, just like iPhones currently offered in China by local carrier China Unicom.
According to the regulatory agency, the new iPhone supports WAPI (WLAN Authentication and Privacy Infrastructure), a homegrown Chinese security protocol.

Apple must still receive a network access license before launching the new iPhone model for sale. Representatives for Apple's carrier partner China Unicom had indicated at the time of the iPhone's original launch there that they had hoped for the release of a Wi-Fi-capable version by the end of 2009, but the process is clearly taking longer than originally anticipated.

Article Link: Apple Continues to Make Progress on Chinese Wi-Fi-Capable iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2
macintologist
macrumors regular

China is becoming the new America: they have all these weird exclusive standards that are different from the rest of the world. If I lived there I'd be constantly using Witopia VPN on my wireless hotspot at home.
macintologist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
superknoppix
macrumors member

china doesn't need the iPhone, they can use their cheap little knockoff iphones...
And why would you need wifi in a country without internet?
Old May 4, 2010, 04:25 PM   #4
vista.john
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superknoppix View Post
china doesn't need the iPhone, they can use their cheap little knockoff iphones...

vista.john is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Kristenn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by superknoppix View Post

Woa! Where the hell did that come from?! You uh... you need to work on that. Bad dog!
Kristenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 01:09 AM   #6
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

So...would these work on Verizon? Isn't that WCDMA?
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 07:51 AM   #7
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
China is becoming the new America: they have all these weird exclusive standards that are different from the rest of the world. If I lived there I'd be constantly using Witopia VPN on my wireless hotspot at home.
Mc Carthy would have drooled to Chinese Government paranoia. but we are not like them for now at least. .

Last edited by kiljoy616; May 5, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
kiljoy616 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 07:58 AM   #8
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristenn View Post
Woa! Where the hell did that come from?! You uh... you need to work on that. Bad dog!
He came from the Republican Don't know dick University.

Where they are taught to make believe everything and know basically nothing.

Do people still think China is some backward country? They may not be us here in the USA but they are catching up and will probably surpass us in the coming decade or two, considering a large part of american society is getting dumber than a rock.

Now lets pray. "Oh great white bearded man in sky, may through your glory smite the china located somewhere because I can't read a map. Amen!
Old May 5, 2010, 08:52 PM   #9
retroneo
macrumors 6502a

It doesn't require any hardware changes. All Broadcom WiFi chips that Apple uses already support WAPI.
retroneo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJJZ View Post
So...would these work on Verizon? Isn't that WCDMA?
No, Verizon is CDMA2000. AT&T is WCDMA in some areas and GSM in most.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Jakeoster
macrumors member

I've heard my parents talking about getting iPhones. I guess this is all they needed to make it happen because they arnt ones to buy unlocked black-market phones.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion