Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I ran Spirit today on my newborn iPad. Easiest, fastest jailbreak yet!

I installed openSSH and it works great, but my question is how do I change the root password if mobile terminal isn't yet working on the iPad? Can you use the command line within WINSCP to make this change?

Any other ways?

Thanks!

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Yea, you can do it over SSH just fine. Musclenerd suggested that you can even get terminal access to your iPad using an SSH app from the app store and logging into 'localhost' with root or mobile as the user names. It'll basically be the same thing as MobileTerminal except you gotta log in.

Hope that helps.

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
You wrote all those words, but couldn't provide an answer? Do you know how silly you look? Perhaps provide a link for the OP to the "iPad Hacks" forum after you edit your post (click edit, go advanced to edit....but you knew that).

OP, just SSH into the iPad using Cyber Duck (or whatever app that does the same thing). root is the username. alpine is the password.

Thanks. I'm on a pc using winscp and it doesn't seem to like that. I'll keep looking for a pc client that will do the trick!

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Thanks. I'm on a pc using winscp and it doesn't seem to like that. I'll keep looking for a pc client that will do the trick!

Putty is good. I always use that on a PC. Also, as I mentioned, you can do it using an iPad based SSH client too.

scirica

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Putty is good. I always use that on a PC. Also, as I mentioned, you can do it using an iPad based SSH client too.

I downloaded that iSSH client. Just need to figure it out. I'll try putty!

Update: Thanks Vivid!! PuTTY was perfect and much quicker. I forgot I even had it here on my client.

Cheers!!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I had a post for that a while back. I'll like to it but it's iTunnel and Putty.

Link coming in an edit soon. :)

You can't use CyberDuck can you? I saw stuff about iPhoneTunnel, but haven't looked at it.

Edit: Looked at the link and I saw stuff about itunnel being replaced when I searched for iTunnel by usbmuxd. Is this true?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
You can't use CyberDuck can you? I saw stuff about iPhoneTunnel, but haven't looked at it.

Edit: Looked at the link and I saw stuff about itunnel being replaced when I searched for iTunnel by usbmuxd. Is this true?

Not sure... I haven't used it since October actually. If it works with Putty it should also work with CyberDuck though.

pjbell

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
Hong Kong
hmmm...

i tried that using issh and touchterm - no joy, "connection refused". i used "root" & "alpine".. any ideas?
i once heard that apple approved apps would not allow a login to the underlying OS - bummer, if true...

-paul

Yea, you can do it over SSH just fine. Musclenerd suggested that you can even get terminal access to your iPad using an SSH app from the app store and logging into 'localhost' with root or mobile as the user names. It'll basically be the same thing as MobileTerminal except you gotta log in.

Hope that helps.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
i tried that using issh and touchterm - no joy, "connection refused". i used "root" & "alpine".. any ideas?
i once heard that apple approved apps would not allow a login to the underlying OS - bummer, if true...

-paul

You have to be jailbroken first and you need to install OpenSSH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.