Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old May 4, 2010, 02:50 PM   #1
rkdiddy
macrumors 65816

Thumbs down SGP's Screen Protector Customer Service

Well the old mantra, proof is in the pudding is very true...

I recently ordered a SGP screen protector for my iPad. This is the first product I've ordered from the company. The install went smoothly and I was actually very impressed by the ease of installation, no bubbles, etc.

About 3 days after installing the protector I noticed that the corners were starting to lift a little. I've seen similar issues on the numerous Zagg, BodyGuardz, Best Skins Ever, Wrapsol, etc that I've installed before. Normally pressing and holding down on the edge would reseat the protector.

Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help, so I decided to contact SGP to see if they would replace the shield. Please keep in mind I paid $25 plus shipping for a piece of thin plastic that probably costs the company $1 - $2.

Here is the response I received back:

Quote:
"Hello, Thank you for contacting SGP customer service.
Unfortunately we do not have any responsible for installation.
If you check the instruction, it explains how to get rid of dust and install.
Most bubble problem is because of dusting.

If you have any more questions, please feel free contact our customer service department again at sgpstore.com@gmail.com. Thank you."
I thought I would share my experience with my friends at MR. I'm very disappointed.

Cheers.

PowerSupport makes a very similar product and while I haven't purchased from them. I will give them a shot next time.

Cheers!

advertising : design : marketing : print : social media : web - www.risencreative.com
rkdiddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 02:53 PM   #2
cmvsm
macrumors 6502a

I have the same Crystal Clear version, and its been great since installed 3 days ago. As a matter of fact, it had to be taken off and reapplied a day later due to changing out my iPad, and still it clings very nicely with no pulled corners.

I'll keep an eye on it though. Unfortunate that they didn't give you something better than that.
cmvsm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Bigrahizzle
macrumors regular

That's a bummer. I received their product damaged and theynsent me a replacement
Old May 4, 2010, 02:56 PM   #4
rkdiddy
macrumors 65816

The weird thing is the install went perfect. I used all the tricks: steamed room to insure no dust, cleaned glass thoroughly, compressed air, etc.

Definitely keep an eye out.

advertising : design : marketing : print : social media : web - www.risencreative.com
rkdiddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 04:34 PM   #5
dread
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvsm;
I have the same Crystal Clear version, and its been great since installed 3 days ago. As a matter of fact, it had to be taken off and reapplied a day later due to changing out my iPad, and still it clings very nicely with no pulled corners.

I'll keep an eye on it though. Unfortunate that they didn't give you something better than that.
Does it improve contrast like sgp claims
dread is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 12:55 PM   #6
cmvsm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread View Post
Does it improve contrast like sgp claims
Not sure about that. Haven't seen any marked improvements, but the screen looks great.
cmvsm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 02:01 PM   #7
timothy496
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdiddy View Post
The weird thing is the install went perfect. I used all the tricks: steamed room to insure no dust, cleaned glass thoroughly, compressed air, etc.

Definitely keep an eye out.
Steamed room? Never heard about that trick before. Anyway, I had a few bubble spots and did the tape trick. It worked like a charm and I've had no problems since.
timothy496 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Mactagonist
macrumors 6502a

I love my steinheil AF. But if they gave me an answer like that when i had a legit problem I would charge it back on my Amex as "goods or services not as described" and let them fight it out. That is terrible service on their part.
Mactagonist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:30 PM   #9
atomicbatteries
macrumors 6502

I have the same problem with all four corners.

This was hands down one of the worst experiences I have ever had trying to get this on and then having the corners never stay down. It looks ugly and I hate it and its going into the trash as SGP does not back up their products.

DO NOT BUY IF YOU DON'T WANT PROBLEMS!
atomicbatteries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:45 PM   #10
itoddm
macrumors regular

I have a return to the company for another product and they haven't emailed me back in several days. Their customer service seems lackluster to say the least
itoddm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:42 PM   #11
malbright
macrumors member

I hate to say it but SGP makes rubbish products on the cheap and has terrible customer service. Some have said they like the Vintage Portfolio, and I'm happy for them. Personally I found it cheap and tacky, which is sad, because the photos made it look quite nice. Anyway, sorry to hear about your poor experience but at least now future buyers will be warned.
malbright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:11 PM   #12
3goldens
macrumors 68000

I had the same problem as atomic above. took me hours and hours to get it right and it never worked. always a speck of dust or yet another bubble. I finally washed the dam thing and started over and faired just ok. I simply to snot have the patience for this arts and crafts project. Id sooner leave the screen naked than go thru with this again, the company unlike zagging another one i hate they offered no assistance what so ever. buye be warned with these folks!
3goldens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:07 AM   #13
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Power supports response has been only minorly better. Of three emails, two went unanswered. The other one was a status check, where I asked if they received my initial..had all the pertinent info...which received a reply asking for the pertinent info listed in the 2nd mail.

So far it's going nowhere, even though they said they would process an exchange.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories