Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 4, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
DunnMaui
macrumors member

Charging Ipad during a flight

Has anyone used a car charger to charge their iPad while on an airplane ? Of course those seats are never the ones I get
Old May 4, 2010, 04:11 PM   #2
mojohanna
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnMaui View Post
Has anyone used a car charger to charge their iPad while on an airplane ? Of course those seats are never the ones I get
It would work the same as any other device. 1. it depends on the plug style of the plane. Many use the empower ports which would be a plug into a power unit that your regular power adpapter would plug into.
2. The other would be a standard power port (just like in a house) that the power plug would plug right into.

I can only speak for experience on US based carriers on long haul routes.

Try out seatguru.com for a list of arilines and the types of outlets they have on the specific type of plane you will be flying on. it even gives a seat map so you know where the poweroutlets are located.
Old May 4, 2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
I carry a HyperMac battery with me on longer flights to extend the battery life of my MBP. I could even use it to charge the iPad through the battery's USB port. If you find yourself frequently on long flights, you may want to consider looking into this solution as well.
Old May 4, 2010, 04:20 PM   #4
DunnMaui
macrumors member

thanks to both of you . . . i will look into both your suggestions. I am flying to Japan on JAL the end of this month so I will surely look up my seat and see if I am near an outlet.
Old May 4, 2010, 05:09 PM   #5
DunnMaui
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojohanna View Post
It would work the same as any other device. 1. it depends on the plug style of the plane. Many use the empower ports which would be a plug into a power unit that your regular power adpapter would plug into.
2. The other would be a standard power port (just like in a house) that the power plug would plug right into.

I can only speak for experience on US based carriers on long haul routes.

Try out seatguru.com for a list of arilines and the types of outlets they have on the specific type of plane you will be flying on. it even gives a seat map so you know where the poweroutlets are located.
I just checked seatguru and YES there is a powerport at my seat . . . thanks again for the good info
Old May 4, 2010, 06:10 PM   #6
TheMadBrewer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
I carry a HyperMac battery with me on longer flights to extend the battery life of my MBP. I could even use it to charge the iPad through the battery's USB port. If you find yourself frequently on long flights, you may want to consider looking into this solution as well.
I have not direct knowledge but somebody in another thread remarked that the USB port on their HyperMac batter gave the "not charging" message.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad