Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RavenDog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Austin, Texas
I purchased a LaCie Little Disk to use a storage device for my photos. It comes with a usb hookup. When I plug the LaCie into the MBA nothing happens. There is a short cut button on top of the LaCie and I pressed it too. Again nothing showing up on the MBA (2nd Gen).

Anybody else have a problem like this that can be of help?

Thanks....

halledise

macrumors 68000
I purchased a LaCie Little Disk to use a storage device for my photos. It comes with a usb hookup. When I plug the LaCie into the MBA nothing happens. There is a short cut button on top of the LaCie and I pressed it too. Again nothing showing up on the MBA (2nd Gen).

Anybody else have a problem like this that can be of help?

Thanks....

leave the LaCie plugged in an restart the Air, then see how you go … …

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I expect this will be due to insufficient power from the MBA USB port. Many small external drives require two USB ports in order to get sufficient power but the MBA only has a single port.

Does the Little Disk have the option of an external power supply or do you have a powered USB hub which you can put between the MBA and the drive to test this theory?

This is not uncommon and depends on the drive's power consumption. Some drives will work with a single USB port and some require two.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
Craig's theory applied to me once.

I had a 500gb WD Blue Scorpio in Astone enclosure and my MBA couldn't power it sufficiently.

You can fix this by opening up the drive and fiddling with the jumper settings. It's not likely to be found on LaCie's site, it depends on the maker of the HD, (WD or Hitachi or something...) so that's another avenue.

But opening up the enclosure may or may not be an option...

halledise

macrumors 68000
I have a LaCie Starck and an older WD 250gb external and both are fine with my Air; as soon as I plug 'em in they are recognised.

try plugging your Little Disk in, repair permissions, restart holding down the command+option+P+R keys for 3 chimes and then see how you go.

if that don't work I'd be calling LaCie direct cos there's no valid reason it shouldn't show up on the Air - or else LaCie would stipulate that in the product descript.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.