|May 5, 2010, 12:36 PM||#1|
Adding Fonts to the iPad (Jailbroken only)
Like people had mentioned on other threads it is possible to add fonts if the iPad is jailbroken and it seems to work system wide (Safari, Keynote and Good Reader (pdf) pick up the new font). I assume that since Good Reader work it is actually using the fonts in the keynote file/pdf, but I will try on my Mac at home later to confirm. For all those with font issues, if working on iPad is a must its an easy enough fix.
I followed the instructions found here for the most part but used Mac's Property List Editor to make the changes.
1. Backup your SHSH blobs and Jailbreak your iPad
2. Install OpenSSH from Cydia
3. Log into your iPad using Cyberduck (it will automatically detect it on Bonjour - root is the username and the default password is alpine)
4. Copy the font you wish to add to the [/System/Library/Fonts/] folder (needs to be ttf or tcc)
5. Copy the CGFontCache.plist to your desktop and open it in Property List Editor (should be on your system under Developer/Applications/Utilities if you installed the additional components from your Snow Leopard Disc)
6. Add an entry under Names (the default type string is fine) for what you want to call the font (in my case Eenadu) and make a reference to the files location as the value [System/Library/Fonts/Cache/Eenadu.ttf].
7. Add an entry below in the trait mappings with the name the font will be used and what ttf it references (mine is simple and just refers back to eenadu for the "plain" type) I used Academy Engraved LET as a template. The more complicated fonts already on the iPad will work as templates for the more complicated font sets.
8. Save the file. Back up the existing CGFontCache.plist in a separate folder and upload new file.
9. Reboot the iPad. Make sure to uninstall OpenSSH or change your root and mobile password. Otherwise your system could be compromised.
I know 6 and 7 aren't very clear but hopefully the attachements will help clear up the confusion.
Hope this helps
|May 6, 2010, 06:39 PM||#3|
Font Swap not working yet on iPad
The upside to doing it manually is that you can add any font that is available in TTF/TCC but not supported
|May 25, 2010, 01:06 AM||#6|
This is not working for me, particularly Lucida Typewriter. Hmm.
The font cache is REAL finicky. I can't figure it out. Sometimes a reference keeps crashing the font list, sometimes not. No clue - very frustrating.
Last edited by ciaran00; May 25, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
|Jul 5, 2012, 10:25 AM||#7|
I can't seem to copy the CGFontCache.plist file from my iPad on to my computer . It shows up as a 0 KB file on the file explorer. I tried with my iPod touch as well . It doesn't copy to my computer at all . I tried with other files on the idevices and they transferred fine.
Anybody have a solution for this ?
EDIT : on my iPod there is no "CGFontCache.plist" file . There is "CGFontCache@2x.plist" file .
Last edited by vetri911; Jul 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
|Mar 3, 2014, 06:16 AM||#8|
You can now also change the fonts on your device without jailbreaking it!
For everybody who is sick and tired of not being able to use custom fonts in their documents on their iOS devices I might have a solution.
I ran into similar problems and took this as my motivation to develop "AnyFont". With this little app you are able to install all the fonts you need for your presentations on your iPhone or iPad. So when your are using Calibri in your presentation and get the error message after importing it on your iPad you can use AnyFont to install Calibri on your device which makes the error message go away and lets you use Calibri in your presentation.
Let me know how you like it!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Serious problem with fonts in Snow Leopard - can't use most fonts...||Soom||Mac Basics and Help||5||Jul 3, 2013 06:41 PM|
|Which app has Accurate Rendering of Microsoft Word Documents with Fonts on iPad?||crashnburn||iPad Apps||3||Mar 6, 2013 10:28 AM|
|iPhone: Fonts on Jailbroken iDevice||Prabas||Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks||0||Feb 2, 2013 06:30 AM|
|upcoming app for adding text/fonts in instagram?||eroxx||iPhone and iPod touch Apps||0||Aug 17, 2012 04:33 PM|
|Deleted duplicate fonts and now some fonts have changed?||jent||Mac OS X 10.7 Lion||7||Jun 26, 2012 01:06 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.