Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK
There seems to be a reasonable choice of VNC apps / remote desktop management with wide variation in prices available. As I search through these I get more confused with the choices; price performance, features etc. etc.

Would anyone like to share their real world experience with any of these, particulary running on the iPad. Is there one that stands out or is it just choice between price and feature.

In other words what is the best VNC app?

:)

hopeman

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Hamm, Germany
There seems to be a reasonable choice of VNC apps / remote desktop management with wide variation in prices available. As I search through these I get more confused with the choices; price performance, features etc. etc.

Would anyone like to share their real world experience with any of these, particulary running on the iPad. Is there one that stands out or is it just choice between price and feature.

In other words what is the best VNC app?

:)

Well, as for the iPad, it's not really an app but a service. You just set up a vpn connection in your network settings and fill it in with the credentials. I've been using lamnia.co.uk for the past 2 weeks or so on the MBP and now on the iPad. It works great and i can enjoy all the US-restricted stuff like hulu, abc and the likes.

Inspired by someone else here i signed up for a 3 month plan with blackvpn.com because it was cheaper and they offer a money back guaranty. Since I just started using it today I can't say too much about it except that it was terribly slow the first few mins i tried it but since then it seems to be en par with my general internet speed.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
I use logmein ignition... Very well-implemented to support zooming, scrolling, right-clicking, etc. It's like $20 or $30. Anyone who thinks that's "a lot" really needs to get some perspective.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
BigHonkingDeal said:
I like iTeleport.... expensive but works real well & fast on 3G too.

Agreed. Iteleport is fairly easy to set up and works just as you would hope it would (i.e., it is very intuitive to use). It has become my preferred app to remote into my MacBook.

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
iTeleport here as well. You can login anywhere. Works great and worth the money.
Gotta install and config a few server files but once you are set up it's really friendly.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
iTeleport, works with my hi-res dual monitor setup no problem, which other apps I tried couldn't handle. Plus it's a universal app.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Desktop connect and if you're looking for a free log me in alternative, TeamViewer works really well and is really lightweight. Only drawback right now is it's an iPhone app, but blown up you can actually zoom the desktop and read it very well, much better than you could on an iPhone.

Hope they make an iPad native app soon, but it's what I use to get me back into my XP machine at work where our firewall would block my traditional VNC/RDP attempts.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Desktop Connect. LAN and WAN compatible. Works over 3G and is half the price of iTeleport.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I use logmein ignition... Very well-implemented to support zooming, scrolling, right-clicking, etc. It's like $20 or $30. Anyone who thinks that's "a lot" really needs to get some perspective.

dont forget the license on the other end. those are $70/yr. while the "lite" version will work for limited use, LMI is a costly option overall.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Many of these apps excel in different areas. For example Splashtop (not technically VNC) is very good for streaming video or flash content from your desktop, but isn't the best for remote management.

Personally I use VNC Viewer (full featured and free) for general use, and Splashtop for watching flash videos.

hastyle

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
If im going to Vietnam and have my desktop setup in Toronto to work with my ipad, which one would be better Iteleport or LogMeIn?? Most likely be on the wireless network there.

thank you.

LAN: iTeleport
WLAN: LogMeIn

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Lends really on what you want from it. Iteleport is a good solid VNC which I've used over LAN and WLAN. It uses Google identity login for the latter (though I also use it that way over LAN as well). Logmein is pretty solid and has bonus of allowing file transfer (can't remember if you still have to pay extra for this). I've used both but in the end found Iteleport to be the easiest as a straight VNC and don't use Logmein at all now. Even deleted it from my iPad.

microx7991

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
Reflectionapp

There is a new AirPlay utilizing app for Mac that lets you mirror your iPad 2/ iPhone 4S's screen to your iMac. Go to reflectionapp.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.