Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenshinxue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Boston, MA
Hi All,

My iPad 64gb wifi cannot identify current location while using my home wireless network... I found this problem several days ago. But I'm pretty sure that it once could.

Anyone know what happened? jailbreak issue? firmware error? anything? Since my iPad is wifi only, I guess it is not a hardware problem...

Thanks!

Xiang

PathVu

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
Location Services

had similar problem...resolved itself...strange

PathVu

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I use the "WiFi only" iPad with the Sprint 4G Overdrive mobile hotspot.

I discovered that the Overdrive has its own GPS which is synced with up to 7 satellites. Using Safari for iPad (or Atomic), I enter the Overdrive's IP address and click its "Map me" function. It displays my exact location including my latitude and longitude using my choice of either Google Maps, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, or MapQuest.

wgary

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I use the "WiFi only" iPad with the Sprint 4G Overdrive mobile hotspot.

I discovered that the Overdrive has its own GPS which is synced with up to 7 satellites. Using Safari for iPad (or Atomic), I enter the Overdrive's IP address and click its "Map me" function. It displays my exact location including my latitude and longitude using my choice of either Google Maps, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, or MapQuest.

... but does this communicate with apps that work best if they know where you are?

stevepork

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
SkyHook

This is a database that every service online uses to find the location of yourself, skyhook and google cars pickup the location of hotspots and puts them on a map, I had this problem myself. What you need to do is visit this link: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php and submit your router and place it on the map. Then within a couple of weeks your location will start showing up.

Sometimes say you have a driveway of live in a remote area as I do they do not pick up your router therefore your location is not in their databases. This is the only real wifi location database

It should be trusted

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.