Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Can I watch movies with an ATV that are in my movies folder or can I transfer movies via my wireless network to the ATV hard drive and watch them? I want something that will let me watch AVI files like FrontRow does. Will ATV work? If not, is there a hack? Any other ideas? A MacMini seems like overkill for what I need and I don't want to have to convert all the AVI files to iTunes (a major pain).

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
The simple answer to your question is absolutely "yes" However, not with a stock-standard AppleTV.

I'm using the ATVFlash hack for my ATV and it's been working flawlessly since it was installed a few weeks ago. There's a very active forum which has great info on how to go about setting up and playing your own media. I've been able to play pretty much any Video and Audio format I throw at it and all my media is stored on an external Hard Disk as the capacity of my ATV was too small.

I had previously used patchstick, however I didn't like the menu layouts and I also wanted to simply try the alternative.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks. I'll check out ATVFlash. I'm using my MBP right now and it works good but is a hassle to connect all the time. I'd really like a permanent solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.