Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I love my new imac!! I got it last night. It is soooo sleek, I am very excited!

I am without a firewall cable though. It appears that is the easiest way to transfer info. I have a SanDisk but I am afraid I might miss something.
Does the usb cable work for this?

Brenda

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Congratulations on your new iMac!

If you want to use the setup assistant to transfer data from an old Mac, then yes, you must have a firewire cable and put the old Mac in FireWire Disk Mode.

Otherwise, if both Macs are on the same network, you can easily move files across that way. But, you won't be able to use the automatic setup assistant. You will have to move everything you want manually.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
jackieonasses said:
Just use a Cross-over Ethernet RJ-45 cable to both of the machines and drag and drop everything. it is just as easy.

Actually, I believe that most modern Macs have auto-sensing network ports where you don't need a crossover cable. At least my Titanium PowerBook didn't need one. You should be just fine running any ethernet cable between the two Macs, but if that doesn't work, your old Mac may require the use of a crossover cable.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I bought a firewall cable today only to realize my blueberry G3 doesn't have it I don't think.
I don't have an ethernet cable, only a phone line.
I guess it's the sandisk.
Thanks
Brenda

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
oops

yeah the guy at Fry's told me too.

I am transferring the info. now and am surprised there is no way to open my illustrator 8 and photoshop 4.
If I transfer it by ethernet cable will my 9 transfer over? Or can I install 9?

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
OS X isn NOT os 9. The applications are different, and worth buying new, current versions. OS 9 is over and done with, so apple doesn't even consider it when creating new software like the transfer utility.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
brobson said:
yeah the guy at Fry's told me too.

I am transferring the info. now and am surprised there is no way to open my illustrator 8 and photoshop 4.
If I transfer it by ethernet cable will my 9 transfer over? Or can I install 9?

You can install OS 9 by using the Disc provided with your iMac G5. There should be a disc called Additional Applications (or something to that effect). This will contain classic support for OS X. After installing this you will be able to run most all OS 9 apps within OS X. OS 9 will run within OS X and allow you to use Illustrator and Photoshop. Be warned that not all of the features may work in Classic as they did in OS 9, i.e Printing and such. If you use these apps frequently you may want to upgrade, especially photoshop as you will have complete support for all features, and Photoshop CS will have much more capabilities than the version you currently have. Enjoy the new iMac and keep asking questions if you need help.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Thanks, if 0s9 is history I am going to go broke trying to replace some things I and my family enjoy.

Am having some problems transferring with the sandisk. Some things are not showing up. I will try the ethernet cable tomorrow.

One thing: This happened a couple of weeks ago on my old computer.
The screen suddenly when grey (starting at the top and gradually going down)
and told me in several languages that I need to restart my computer.
I thought it was because my start up disk was full. It just happened on my new imac. What's that about???? :confused:

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
What you experienced is called a kernal panic. If it only happens once or twice it is nothing to worry about, but if it happens on a regular basis, then it could be a sign of a hardware problem. The most common issue that could cause a kernal panic in a new iMac would be faulty memory. If you suspect that there is a problem, run the Apple Hardware Test CD to see what it says.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Well I still am not successful

I plugged in the Catagory 6 500 mhz utp patch cord stranded 24 AWG cable into both machines but the new mac wants me to restart the old. I hold down the t key waiting for the firewire to work. But I have no firewire so I don't know what to do.
The guy at frys sold this crossover cable to me (I didn't have the info when I went so I just asked).
What do I do now???
Brenda

stronghand

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
So Cal
Cat 6 cable is Ethernet cabling, not FireWire cabling, so rebooting into FireWire mode is not going to work. Just plug each end of the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port of each Mac (port with 2 arrows separated by dotted line).

On the G5 iMac, go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network. Click on Show: and select Built-in Ethernet. Select the AppleTalk tab and check Make AppleTalk Active.

On the Blueberry G3, go to the Apple Menu > Control Panels > File Sharing. Click on Start under File Sharing and then Check the box Enable File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP. Close the control panel. Now go to the Apple Menu > Control Panels > AppleTalk. Click on Connect Via: and select Ethernet. Close the control panel. Restart your old Mac to make sure the settings changed take effect.

Now go back to your G5 iMac and while the Finder is active and with a Finder window open, click on Network in the Finder Window Sidebar. Your old mac should be visible. You can now copy your old System, Apps and Files over.

OS 9 IS history for most Mac users. Once you get up and running on X you will understand why. You can run the majority of 9 apps in Classic mode (9 booted inside X) without a hitch, but your mileage may vary. Aside from having to run QuarkXPress 5 (not X native and I refuse to give them anymore money), Illustrator 9 and Photoshop 7 (for plug-ins not updated yet or discontinued altogether), and the occasional old fave game, 99% of my time is spent in X and I am happier for it. You don't have to upgrade everything at once, or at all if you choose, but things like Photoshop CS (version 8 by the way, compared to your version 4) and Illustrator CS (version 11, compared to your 8 which was one of the worst versions of Illustrator ever) will be a welcome change...

Good luck. And welcome to the future...

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
WELL THE DARN THING WON'T OPEN THE APPLETALK.
SAYS IT ISN'T SUPPORTED BY CLASSIC.
AHHHHHHHH :mad:

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
brobson said:

in network (osx) make appletalk active for your ethernet

the 'find' it trought the chooser on your old mac... and transfer your complete Harddrive from the old one on the new one.

normally that should work & replace the classic OS on your iMacG5 (be sure to have OS9 on the old one, otherwise it will not work) and you should be able to run all your apps on the iMac in classic without reinstall (I did it when I moved from my B&W to my Ti-Book without a glitch) ok now I don't use any OS9 app anymore on my G5 so I don't even need classic... but as long as you don't switch to Photoshop7 or CS or Illustrator 10 or CS... you might be using Classic in the mean time...

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
PS: when you succesfully transfered everything to the iMac G5 remeber to look for a OS9 Printerdriver for your printer, otherwise you won't be able to print from your Classic applications...

stronghand

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
So Cal
brobson said:

You need to open the AppleTalk control panel on your OLD Mac, not the NEW one. On the NEW one, you open System Preferences and go to Network and make AppleTalk active. Reread my original post carefully. Everything to get it working for you is there...

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Yes I followed your instructions but just couldnt do the last part, I don't know why my old mac won't let me get to appletalk.
I am looking forward to not using it anymore.
I guess when my friend updated the hard drive to 60GB from 6 he didn't do something correctly. The OS 9 isn't playing my kids games, etc. and I can't start up from 9 either.
One of the reasons I am going to a G5.
I guess if it isn't working correctly I don't need to transfer it over like that anyway? It could possibly mess up my new computer?
I can jus laboriously use the Sandisk.
Thanks
Br

stronghand

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
So Cal
brobson said:
The OS 9 isn't playing my kids games, etc. and I can't start up from 9 either.

Wait a minute. From this statement it sounds like you already have OS X installed on your old machine and have been running OS 9 in Classic mode. Which would explain the AppleTalk not supported by Classic thing as OS X controls all networking functons even for 9 running in Classic mode. So...

You should be able to turn on AppleTalk sharing on your old Mac the same as your new one using the method I previously gave you going through System Preferences > Network.

Your new Mac does not support booting in OS 9. Your old one should and something is definitely wrong if it doesn't work. Once both Macs can see each other, the things you will probably want to copy are: Applications (Mac OS 9), Desktop (Mac OS 9), Documents, System Folder, and your User folder. Oh and anything inside your current Applications folder that is missing from the new. Don't automatically replace ones that may already exist on your new Mac. Instead, you should go through manually and move over anything that does not exist. This way you get the benefits of the newer System installs.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, and it is. But without the ability to boot in FireWire Target Disk Mode, this is as simplified as its gonna get.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
sorry to keep bothering you

I have networks windows open in each computer.
I don't know how to copy it though.
The new computer doesn't see the old one, only it's own contents.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I did notice there is a lock on the old imac network when I select get info.
I cannot unlock it and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
B

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
brobson said:
I have networks windows open in each computer.
I don't know how to copy it though.
The new computer doesn't see the old one, only it's own contents.
That doesn't need to be copied. Don't bother trying to unlock it - you're not supposed to unlock it. Here are the most likely reasons you're not seeing one computer from the other one:

1. File sharing is not enabled.
2. AppleTalk is not turned on.

To enable File Sharing in Mac OS 9:
Go to Control Panels->File Sharing (in your Apple menu, unless you removed the Control Panels link). Click "Start File Sharing".

To enable AppleTalk in Mac OS X:
Check Directory Access (in your Utilities folder, inside the Applications folder) - make sure AppleTalk is checked.
Go to the Apple menu and choose System Preferences. Open Network, select Built-in Ethernet, and check Make AppleTalk active, then click Apply.

Anacondan

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2004
MT
Moving old files from sys 8.1 to the Imac

I just purchased the new Imac, have not received it yet, but would like to know if there is a way I can transfer files (word, quicken, etc.) from my old Powerbase 180 using system 8.1 to the new Imac. I do have a 100 mg zip drive, but don't know if it will work with the new Mac (Found an Adaptec SCSI to USB cable at macmall?)
I could also use some information on what I would need exactly, to print wireless from my new mac to a Brother MFC-8440? A airport card for both?
Thanks in advance for any help in either of these areas or if you have any suggestions for someone coming out of the dark ages :eek:

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Well I did that too and no dice.

In my new mac's nework window it only shows servers and when I click on it, it shows it's own contents.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I even turned on file sharing in classic on the new mac but nothing.
Where is my info supposed to appear?
B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.