Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
hello all
I was given an old ibook G4, with a borken hard drive.
since it would boot from a firewire drive on mac os X 10.4 ppc, I decided to change the hard drive, which i had never doe for a laptop. I had a very similar 40 Gig toshiba IDE drive from an old laptop, opened the ibook and changed the drive.

everything works, the mac boots fine, sound, video etc, yet I realised that it had one rather serious issue. It shuts down when moved / tapped, even very lightly, and this is problematic for a laptop. I was considering buying an airport extreme for it, but now I'm afraid this might not be mendable, nd i'm reconsidering.

what could be wrong ? is there somekind of shock sensor that could have been damaged ? I put back all the screws, and only changed the drive and proceeded cautiously, but maybe something was damaged- what could be causing this, is there a specific area I should focus on ?

thanks in advance for your help

ben

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
everything works, the mac boots fine, sound, video etc, yet I realised that it had one rather serious issue. It shuts down when moved / tapped, even very lightly, and this is problematic for a laptop.

Hi,

Sounds like the logic board (aka Mother Board) has a problem/crack/broken. Not really fixable, and definitely not worth putting money into it. I have heard of a logic board shim, but it doesn't work.

http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/

this is a long standing problem with the iBooks.

s.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi,

Sounds like the logic board (aka Mother Board) has a problem/crack/broken. Not really fixable, and definitely not worth putting money into it. I have heard of a logic board shim, but it doesn't work.

http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/

this is a long standing problem with the iBooks.

s.

There is a guy in Arizona tech phase or something like that that will fix your iBook logic board for 50 bucks. Sending one to him in the next few weeks.

It is a video card issue -- the iBooks bend and flex and this flex to the board caused the video card to break the solder on the chips/connection.

bjaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
thanks for your help

i improved things a little, it now only shutsdown if it's slapped on the side, hence useable as such. It can be placed on a table, moved around etc

after looking at the links, i added padding in different areas which seems to help with whatever is wrong. typing from it now.

ordered a second hand airport extreme for it.

sorry for the off topic slide, but would it be worth it installing 10.5 on this 1.07 GHz ibook G4 ppc or would this hinder performance more than anything else ?

I read this thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/374283/

yet this machine has less ram than most, at 768mb

thanks again

ben

skunnykart

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
I have 10.5 running on a 1GHz iBook G4 with 768MB Ram. Maybe the exact same model as yours!

It's fine for most things. But I do have some issues with time machine.
TM works but slows down the computer significantly while it's backing up data.
I've only got a 30 GB hdd so it doesn't take too long but still I can really feel the slow down when it happens.

bjaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
great, thanks, yes it sounds like it's the same machine.
The original drive was a 30gig drive, the 40 gig which now replaces it comes from an old toshiba laptop.

I wasn't planning on using time machine for this computer anyway, since it's a secondary computer- i'll do the install today, I might just try it out on firewire drive first before erasing the current hard drive.

thanks again

bjaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
hello all,

just a little update, all is going find with the ibook- the shutting down can be moderated by playing with shell, the less pressure there is, the better. it get pretty stable.
I just realised today that I'd left out 2 tork screws onto the left side of the original apple drive, wondering if this is related to drive stability and the shutting down from plastic shell-- are they important ? I'm not very eager to dissassemble it again

thanks
ben

bjaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
bump.

do the two screw on the side of the HDD play an important role in hard drive stability ? i don't remember how it looked when I opened it and what physical purpose they might be playing.

if the do, I might have to reopen the ibook again, but i'd like to make sure first-

thanks

ben

bjaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
update- it's fixed. i re-opened the computer, added the screws, and checked all connections, adding tape when necessary.
since the computer was *only* shut down when pressure was applied on the left side, it was probably coming from something loose- adding the two torque screws on the drive (which go into the plastic buffer on the logic board side), and securing everything seems to have done the trick.

i'd looked into the logic board crack and did the soldering thing a while back.

we'll see how it holds

thanks

b

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Dumb question possibly, if so please excuse but... is your battery a brick? Some of them literally cannot support the computer for a single second, they're just DEAD. If your battery has brick'ed and your Power Supply is jostled even slightly (internally or externally), your iBook is totally denied power for a second or two and will literally shut down on the spot.

bjaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
nope, the battery holds roughly 2 hours.
but again, it's fixed. I think it was linked to the tape on the HDD being looser (changed it), the missing screws on the HD's motherboard side and possibly a missing screw.
it only turned off *when tapped* or moved (hence the thread title),even with the power plugged in, and would not turn off on its own, which is quite different from the issue others had been having, with the computer turning of on its own.
i could turn it off by pressing down the case near the HDD as well.

b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.