Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
Hi guys, my crt monitor just died :( , which is bad, but something good could come out of it. While I was quoting monitors online (remarkably cheap, but I don't want to plunk down 120$ if it can be avoided) I had an awesome Idea! what if I could turn my old imac http://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_se_dv_400.html into a secondary external monitor for my G5? I just need to know what type of connector it uses internally. (mobo/gfx to monitor cable and connector type) once I have that I may be able to splice some cables and get this to work. can anyone help me out? this info has eluded me for some time now. (plz don't tell me this has been done before. I'll cry.)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I think it's some variant of VGA, but why the hell would you rather do that than buy a new monitor? You can get a cheap one for, uuhhh, cheap.

I'll admit though, it would be cool to see a pic of an iMac showing Dual 2GHz G5's in the About this Mac window ;) :D

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
busted it open, theres some wierd 20 pin connector that seems to be feeding into the mobo from the crt, I suspect this to be the video source. but there are also a few other smaller groups of cables running to the board from the crt, and of course the power cables (which I notice are not a standard type :( . this is an interesting mod for me (did i mention my first as well) because there is alot of proprietary stuff inside the imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.