Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Well, I just came here to vent cause you know, I spent a **** ton of money on this thing, and bought the Apple Case, and yet, there is a scratch on my screen. I never take it out of the case, and it's barely noticeable especially during use or movies but now I'm wondering how it got there, and how I can avoid future scratches. I usually carry it to and from work in my laptop incase bag. I thought I didn't need a screen protector but maybe I do.

This completely sucks. Luckily, I have the SquareTrade warranty so if it gets really bad, I'll just send it in.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Well, I just came here to vent cause you know, I spent a **** ton of money on this thing, and bought the Apple Case, and yet, there is a scratch on my screen. I never take it out of the case, and it's barely noticeable especially during use or movies but now I'm wondering how it got there, and how I can avoid future scratches. I usually carry it to and from work in my laptop incase bag. I thought I didn't need a screen protector but maybe I do.

This completely sucks. Luckily, I have the SquareTrade warranty so if it gets really bad, I'll just send it in.

You may want to drop by an Applestore first if its convenient. I've been reading on these forums that some posters have successfully exchanged iPads with screen scratches for new units. It seems Apple is being more liberal about situations like this during the launch period.

The screen is supposed to be scratch resistant, so if you've had it in a case and haven't dropped it or been careless I think you're justified in trying to exchange it.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
You may want to drop by an Applestore first if its convenient. I've been reading on these forums that some posters have successfully exchanged iPads with screen scratches for new units. It seems Apple is being more liberal about situations like this during the launch period.

The screen is supposed to be scratch resistant, so if you've had it in a case and haven't dropped it or been careless I think you're justified in trying to exchange it.

No I have not dropped it. The machine is in pristine condition. Hmmm, maybe I'll try that this weekend sometime.

fishepa

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
I thought the screen was glass, I didn't think it was possible to scratch glass unless with a diamond or something like that.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
I also scratched my first iPad, even though I babied it. The screen is NOT as durable as everyone seems to think it is. Mine lives in an incase sleeve and somehow it got a decent nick in the screen along the way.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I went without a screen protector on my iPhone and within 2 weeks there was a big scratch right across the middle of the screen--and this was from very careful handling. The only thing I can think of was that it collided with a rivet in my jeans when I was pocketing it.

So, I simply don't believe those who say the iPhone/iPad screen is impossible or very difficult to scratch. My personal experience has been that its extremely easy to do so.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I also scratched my first iPad, even though I babied it. The screen is NOT as durable as everyone seems to think it is. Mine lives in an incase sleeve and somehow it got a decent nick in the screen along the way.

I have the same sleeve.. I think the zipper can come in contact with the screen if your not careful when sliding it in and out. Thats something I noticed about that case right away.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
I have the same sleeve.. I think the zipper can come in contact with the screen if your not careful when sliding it in and out. Thats something I noticed about that case right away.

Good thought! I'm using the netbook one with the zipper on the long side. I'll be careful of this! :eek:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

fishepa said:
I thought the screen was glass, I didn't think it was possible to scratch glass unless with a diamond or something like that.

You can easily scratch glass with anything equally as hard or harder than glass, which is many things...metal, sand, etc.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Screen do not scratch themselves. Unless it came from the factory scratched, it had to happen while you or someone else was using it. Even a single grain of sand between your cleaninhg cloth and ipad will scratch it.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
You mean, like my wife. Yes other people have used it, but no one has scratched it, or dropped it if that's what you are asking.

I was thinking of someone using it while you weren't there and then accidentally scratching it,...... cat or dog dumping on it. Something like that.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

Really? I mean, really?

The scratch resistance does you a favour - it makes the screen less likely to get scratched, and so avoid impeding your experience. It's not so you can screw the company for a new one.

Wrong attitude, imo.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Good thought! I'm using the netbook one with the zipper on the long side. I'll be careful of this! :eek:

Definitely be aware of it! Im not saying it will scratch it but I think the opportunity is there.
I noticed it the first time I went to put the iPad in the sleeve.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
It always amazes me how many of these portable devices get scratches, dents, or tripped water sensors When they've never, ever, ever, ever been dropped/scratched, or near water.

It's like some kind of magic trick.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I noticed on my wifes iPad she has a speck of dust under her screen. She doesn't know it yet and I don't think I will tell her.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I noticed on my wifes iPad she has a speck of dust under her screen. She doesn't know it yet and I don't think I will tell her.

Good call.
Just like all this "light bleed" BS... If you dont see it during normal use, then don't go looking for it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Really? I mean, really?

The scratch resistance does you a favour - it makes the screen less likely to get scratched, and so avoid impeding your experience. It's not so you can screw the company for a new one.

Wrong attitude, imo.

Yes, REALLY. The screen should not scratch from normal use, period. Also, if the OP takes his iPad in, tells the truth about why he is returning it, then its up to the store personnel to decide whether to accept the exchange--not you. The company in no way is being screwed, as they can decide what level of customer service they wish to offer.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Good call.
Just like all this "light bleed" BS... If you dont see it during normal use, then don't go looking for it.

If the iPad was an investment, she would be all up in arms. Now.. what is amazing is, my 5 year old son plays with the ipad, takes it everywhere in the house etc.. and I have yet found a scratch on it.

So these scratches are puzzling. The only scratch I have on my iphone is from when I put the phone in my front jean pocket and hits the edge of the "mystery" button.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
If the iPad was an investment, she would be all up in arms. Now.. what is amazing is, my 5 year old son plays with the ipad, takes it everywhere in the house etc.. and I have yet found a scratch on it.

So these scratches are puzzling. The only scratch I have on my iphone is from when I put the phone in my front jean pocket and hits the edge of the "mystery" button.

Ive put my iPhone through hell and the screen never got scratched.
I do agree some of these scratches are puzzling because I'm sure the majority of the people are careful with the device(s)

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hahahah. Yes I'm sure. And yes, magic definitely. Honestly, I have no idea how it happened.

Anyhow, negative on the swap. I went there today at lunch. 1:10pm in the Westchester Mall in NY. No go. "Scratches are not covered under warranty.". This is what I said to the employees. "My screen is scratched. I have not dropped or abused it. I just noticed it today. I have had it in the case since day 1. It could have even came like this." They replied "Scratches are not covered under warranty."

You can't even really see it unless you are searching for it. I also do have a SquareTrade warranty. So I can always use that if necessary.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I think YMMV when it comes to Apple stores and Geniuses. Spending many cumulative hours at the Apple store, I've noticed that whether it was a combination of having a good charm or giving a desperate or distressed look, or a very understanding or forgiving Genius at the board, I've witnessed a lot of people (myself included) get warrantied service for sometime that they clearly would not have gotten under normal circumstances.

I will also point out that never once have I seen an angry or a persistent customer get his way at the Genius Bar. It only serves to worsen the situation.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Someone on here mentioned that two of their friends got scratches on their iPads because of the Apple Case. You may want to look into that. It may be just the reason you need to return and exchange your iPad.

It really wouldn't surprise me as that case attracts everything it comes in contact with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.