Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old May 7, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1
m4c1nt05h
macrumors member

remote access to xserve via iPad?

for some reason, i am having a hard time finding an iPad remote access app that allows connections to an xserve WITHOUT VNC.

almost all the apps out there are for remotely accessing your desktop mac (not xserve or running OS X Server OS) and they either use RDP or VNC.

many of these same apps, when attempting to connect via VNC, often have extra fields for authentication.

the other issue is many of these apps require you to turn on screen sharing but the problem is with OS X Server is you can't turn it on because it's controlled by the Remote Management Services.

i really wish Apple made an iPhone/iPad Remote Desktop App.

has anyone here had success with remotely accessing an xserve with and iPad? if so, which app did you use?

thanks in advance.
m4c1nt05h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
tuckeyr
macrumors newbie

I use Mocha VNC with no difficulty. I had to tweak some firewall settings to allow for it, but I am able to access both my desktop computer as well as my file/application server remotely using Mocha VNC.
tuckeyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:04 AM   #3
calderone
macrumors 68040

Some clarifications.

Screen Sharing is VNC.

Remote Management is using VNC, a VNC password can be enabled when you click "Computer Settings." The difference is that without enabling VNC you are using authenticated VNC.

The other port Remote Desktop uses is 3283 and is for pushing packages, getting reports etc.

To my knowledge, Apple is not using some alternative to VNC. It is all VNC.

Last edited by calderone; May 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking