Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photios

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2009

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
I was going to open a new thread just right now for this exactly problem!

I was programming just few minutes ago with xCode, and suddenly everthing freezed.
I just could move the mouse and seems that energy save worked too, cause screen was turrning off when passed a minute. Bluetooth worked too, cause I switched off the magic mouse and when I turned on again, after a few seconds started to work again.
But nothing more was responding. No keyboard, no clicks, no window moving...
so no terminal to kill or no cmd+opt+esc to force close...

After nearly 10 minutes, everything happend in a eye blink! Everithing on the same time, everithing I've done while freezed. PIM PAAAM PUM!
And then, started to work normally...

So what the **** is this?
11th of this month, it's the last day to return (14 magic days).
This machine gives me no more trust. One time = more times for shure.

So, what we do?

HOLY ****! :mad:

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Im not having any problems with my i7, the heat isnt an issue, with the fans kicking up to 5000rpm at around 86 degrees celcius.

I use my laptop for SERIOUS hd work, so its been put through its paces, and no freezing (yet :D)

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Man, I'm so sorry, but it's not about some machines YES, some machines NOT.
It's about ALL the i7/i5 machines.
Soon or later, you're going to deal with it.

Take a deep look at OP forum references, and you're gonna see that this seems to be "bad times" for Apple.

Mine will fly to Cupertino, as soon as I can open an RMA. If they work tomorrow on Saturday, I'll do it tomorrow. If not, on monday.

Good luck.

PD: I was programming with xCod with my MBP. So I was struggling it a little bit.
Suddenly, the "magic freezing" happened.
On support forums, everyone have the same issue.
So let's start with the mid-2010 models again!

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
I've experienced zero freezes and I'm running my new i7 through the gauntlet everyday with design and video work.

The only problem I've experienced was a kernal panic once after plugging in a USB thumb drive I had. But after a restart, everything was fine - along with access to the thumb drive.

recKz

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
As noted in that thread I only get the issue when it is running off of battery. Maybe you guys aren't?

dr4g0n

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
It happend once to me. Transmission + Time Machine and some stuff not so heavy on MBP. Not single time again...

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
I'm full of battery.
Just read the Apple Support discussions, and you will see. Some started to say it's releated with the graphics card "on-the-fly" changing.
Apple it's investigatting it.

Look, from Apple Support forums, from source on OP:

Just to let you guys know, I have been contacted by a liaison from Apple's engineering dept.

They are aware of the reports of this issue, and are investigating the reports.

So, Apple's not ignoring it :)

(I would say more but they preferred that I keep any post here concise and nondescript. I expect some of you in this thread will also receive phone calls!)

They started to change HDDs, from Seagate to Hitachi to all the people that is out of the 14 magical days.

I repeat again: it's not a matter of "my machine yes" and "my machine not"... It's a matter of ALL THE MACHINES. It will happen in any moment, or at last, this is what seems to be. It's a pitty.

apw100

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I had a couple of crashes when I first got it, but since then, my MBP has been fine. As far as RMA'ing it, whats the point? It almost certainly not a hardware problem. Just do a re-install of SL and wait for the inevitable update.

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
No.
Mine got a scartch from production line.
After reading all the problems on those new babies (concave base, yellow tinting, speakers, ...), mine was working perfect but with this little scratch. So I decided to keep the scratch because all the other things were perfect.
But after something like this, I just want my money back.
I bought it via CTO cause personalization.
But I've seen that I want AG screen, but HR is NOT for me. Too small.
I want AG with 1440, but it doesn't exist.
So probably I'm going to take it on shop (FNAC). Glossy screen (pitty), but 1440.
And the good thing is, that I'll get the option to go to the shop as many times I want, without waiting like in the CTO process.

I hope they work on Saturdays (RMA people).

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
Count me in for a 15" i7 HR-AG with EXACTLY the freezing issues they are talking about, glad I am not alone.

I've had it several times just freeze while watching a full screen .mkv or .avi.

I had several brief pauses in VLC as well where the screen would just beachball and then eventually the movie would restart but the system was very sluggish.

I've also had the gray screen of death two days ago, but ironically Windows 7 and Bootcamp would load just fine. I was at the point where I was pulling my data off my OSX partition through windows onto an external and getting ready to reformat because I could not get past the gray screen whatsover. But being able to access the data freely led me to believe that this is NOT A HARDDRIVE ISSUE [ Hitachi 500gb 5400rpm].

What I did that ended up working, I just kept the machine plugged and fully charged. I then pulled the power plug and turned the power plug and it "magically" booted into OSX. I have no idea why that worked that way, I tried everything before, resetting PRAM etc. But I stumbled across an iMac forum where they were doing the same thing to get past the gray screen right when turning on. So if that happens, let it charge, then unplug, and then turn it on, and pray.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
I have had my i5 freeze up on me only once, had to hold the power button ;/

Though I have only had it for 5 days.

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Nah. Thanks but not.
I paid a lot of money, and I can't afford an insultating thing like this.
I thank God I recived mine on 28th of April so if you count 14 days from this day, it's May 11th the las magical day to returning it without question.
It's going to be good for me, cause the scratch I was very "disapointed" with the machine but you know... so now it's a pretty good excuse.
Girl who attended me on support phone the day I called for the scratch thing, told me to call to RMA and send it back without any problem, that I have plenty of reasons to do it, cause a scratch on this it's something inacceptable.

Anyone knows if its 14 natural days? Or 14 journaling days? I mean, 14 days including Sundays (so May 11th it's last day for me) or only monday-to-friday, wich gives me more time?

I'll RMA it cause scratch and most important, cause a 2000$ machine, have not to have any kind of software/hardware problems. It's intolerable.
And the bad of all, it's that all the people seems to look to another direction without regreet!

drewmk

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Same problems here. Hopefully they will fix this quickly.

I'm taking the Seagate out tonight to try a different drive.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Man, I'm so sorry, but it's not about some machines YES, some machines NOT.
It's about ALL the i7/i5 machines.
Soon or later, you're going to deal with it.

Take a deep look at OP forum references, and you're gonna see that this seems to be "bad times" for Apple.

Mine will fly to Cupertino, as soon as I can open an RMA. If they work tomorrow on Saturday, I'll do it tomorrow. If not, on monday.

Good luck.

PD: I was programming with xCod with my MBP. So I was struggling it a little bit.
Suddenly, the "magic freezing" happened.
On support forums, everyone have the same issue.
So let's start with the mid-2010 models again!

Haha, how can you so outrageously claim that EVERY i5/i7 machine is affected by this alleged problem? What is your evidence?

I haven't had a single hiccup on my machine, and neither have lots of other users.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Wow. After taking my MBP i7 to the Apple store for this very problem (freezes multiple times/day for 1-2 min at a time) they had me call Apple Care for a replacement. I had no idea that this might be a larger issue. Here's hoping the new unit is unaffected.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Had my 17" i7 since day 1 and I had ZERO freezes. :D

I wonder if its due to Apple's SSD drives. I remember when you used the older SSD drives with the jmtron controllers, OSX would freeze for no reason after a while.

But then again, I saw some people with the hitachi travelstar conventional HDD experiencing this issue.

I havnt really been reading much on macrumors the past 2 weeks and I just stumbled upon this. I was surprised as my 17" i7 is working flawlessly and I'm running alot of programs with 8 spaces, vmware fusion as well.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Had my 17" i7 since day 1 and I had ZERO freezes. :D

I wonder if its due to Apple's SSD drives. I remember when you used the older SSD drives with the jmtron controllers, OSX would freeze for no reason after a while.

But then again, I saw some people with the hitachi travelstar conventional HDD experiencing this issue.

I havnt really been reading much on macrumors the past 2 weeks and I just stumbled upon this. I was surprised as my 17" i7 is working flawlessly and I'm running alot of programs with 8 spaces, vmware fusion as well.

No freezes with SSD. 15" HD, 8GB Ram, 256SSD, i7 2.66

All Apple (Ram, SSD)

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
For those of you with 15" i7 HR-AG and no problems, this will likely affect you at some point. This seems to be software and related to GPU switching on the fly. I imagine this will be resolved soon via software update and am willing to wait it out and not bother exchanging for a new machine as this has affected users with all types of hard drives, Hitachi, Seagate, and SSD's.

Seeing also that I was at the gray screen of death for over a day but could access my osx partition through bootcamp which was working perfectly fine also implies to me that there is some issue in OSX. Others have had the gray screen of death as well.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
For those of you with 15" i7 HR-AG and no problems, this will likely affect you at some point. This seems to be software and related to GPU switching on the fly. I imagine this will be resolved soon via software update and am willing to wait it out and not bother exchanging for a new machine as this has affected users with all types of hard drives, Hitachi, Seagate, and SSD's.

Seeing also that I was at the gray screen of death for over a day but could access my osx partition through bootcamp which was working perfectly fine also implies to me that there is some issue in OSX. Others have had the gray screen of death as well.

Why? Because a small percentage of machines are experiencing problems?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
My 2.4GHz Core i5 15" has frozen on me once as well.

Screen locked up, the trackpad and the keyboard weren't responding. I closed the lid, it went to sleep, I opened it 10 seconds later and everything was fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.